Questions regarding Filter/Pump for Intex 16' x 4' Above Ground

Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Good afternoon to all. Another question before I get too involved in my projects with my pool this year.

As indicated in my signature, I have an Intex 16' x 4' Above Ground. I have the Intex Sand Filter/pump combo unit and a SWG. My pump on my combo set puked this year. Motor was all rusted inside. :mad: so I made the executive decision to replace it with a 'mainstream' pump (aka: Hayward) Picked up the Power-Flo Matrix 1.5hp pump (updated strainer cover)

I plan on plumbing all this 'nightmare' from the awful Intex Flex hoses to 1.5" or 2" PVC with flex at the joints to the pool equipment.

My question is, is this sand filter too small for my 1.5hp pump or will it do quite well. Holds 100# of silica.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

The Intex sand filter is unfortunately way too small for that pump. You need at least a S210T for that pump.

In fact, that pump is way too large for that pool. Since you already have it I'm sure you want to use it, but if you could swap it for a much smaller pump you'd be better off.

The other thought too was when we plan on replacing the 16' with an 18' the pump could go with. I went with the assumption that bigger could be better. with the 1.5hp pump, my turnover will just be that much quicker. the other question is, what will it do with my Intex SWG?

I did find an S244T on Craigslist in my area. would that be a good thought? or could I possibly run with my intex sand this season and then replace it next?

If you found a S244T that would be a great match for that pump.

You can still use the swg as long as it's not part of the combo. Even if it is you may be able to use it. You'll just have to come up with a way to plumb it into the new equipment.

You can use that pump with your Intex sand filter. However, you will have to put a throttle valve between the pump and filter. There are several threads here for making adapters between normal pool and Intex, search for them. I have found an easy solution also, check this thread. if you choose to do the throttle valve, you will have to experiment with it to find a good flow rate.

That could work to use a valve to throttle the pump, as long as you never close it completely with the pump running. Too bad you got such a big pump. A smaller 2-speed would have been more ideal and may have cost a similar amount, only it would have allowed you to run on low and save a lot of money on electricity.

You mentioned turn-over and we just to not think that is a relevant parameter. See this:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

Likely your small SWG is going to be the driving factor for how long you have to spend the money on electricity to run that pump.

Just wanted to pass on to all, I took the plunge, got my Hayward skimmer this past weekend, and installed it. Making that first cut into your liner is a hard step. and then on Sunday got all the 1.5" plumbing all done. got all my leaves out of the bottom and shoves 160# of salt into it. ran filter to get the salt dissolved and circulating, now to turn on the SWG today to start generating some chlorine. Vacuum it tonite and all should be good. Thanks to all the good information on TFP.

Couldn't have done it without the group here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh I would love to, it just has to get a little warmer. lows in the 40's and highs in the 50's-70's no heater yet. that is in the works (Gotta get savin for that one)

Deck project is next. then next year, turn the pool so the skimmer and equipment pad resides under the deck :) woohoo!

I hacked together a wood fired heater for mine, worked well for two years.

The problem I've come across is that it requires cleaning of creosote from the heat exchanger, if it is in direct line with the fire.

In doing research on this, I've started a new heater, based on a modification of the rocket mass heater. Hopefully the more complete combustion of the wood will at least lessen the need for this.

Another option might be to modify your current heater with an extra air intake pipe or two to feed hot air into the flames, to give you more of a secondary burn.

Run the new pipe(s) through the flames and drill holes in them so the hot air is well distributed. Seems to work best with the primary intake almost closed once the fire is going and most of the air coming in through the secondary feed.

I have a wood fired hot tub right now (standard Snorkel setup)... thinking about a pool but pool season up here is about five weeks, electricity is expensive and propane comes from a tank so a wood-fired pool heater is looking mighty attractive ;)

OK here is the pump, filter and SWG in full operation

nu4aqeje.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396714579192.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396714579192.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 97
Did you get all the pieces for your return at the hardware store? I have the regular metal frame intex and I'm dying to get rid of the plungers. Wondering if you used "pool parts" for that return or just stuff from the plumbing aisle. I am probably just going to stick with my over the wall skimmer because I don't think I can stand to lose any water depth. I'm pretty sure my intake and return could be identical.

I'm in Va Beach so we're neighbors! lol...definitely not warm enough to swim!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.