Liner failure Procudures

Hi Guys,
Well looks like its time for a new liner, my wife and i installed this one back in 1995 so its reached the end of its life.(cant complain). I have a long split in the deep end that if feel is not worth the effort if even possible due to the age of the liner. My questions are should i go ahead and drain it with a pump or just let it drain by itself? Also is it ok to remove the old liner before the new one comes so i can prep the bottom, Pool bottom is vermiculite and portland cement so it is porous. Is it ok to expose it to the elements. What would be a good procedure to follow? Thanks ..

Attachments

• DSCN2142.jpg
    DSCN2142.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2141.jpg
    DSCN2141.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 51
It is alright to drain it completely as long as the local water table is below the bottom of the deep end. The simplest thing to do is to let it drain on it's own, and it will stop when it reaches the water table. The big thing to avoid is lots of ground water moving through the empty pool. Often ground water just sits there, which is alright. But an underground stream washing through can create problems, and the same with a high water table that you are constantly pumping out.

It is alright to expose the pool-crete below the liner. Keep in mind that any debris that gets in will need to be removed, so you normally only leave it exposed for a week or so, to prevent too much debris from accumulating. Typically you need to fully empty the pool to get proper measurements for the replacement liner.

Thanks Jason for the quick reply and wonderful website. So I will let it drain on its own as you stated and then measure for a new liner. Once the liner is on its way I will remove the old one and patch where needed. If any problems come up i am sure to be back with more questions thanks again. Lou..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.