They're back!!! Stains

akenis

May 12, 2008
SC
Ref: stains-on-fiberglass-vs-patience-t5591.html

The pool looked absolutely beautiful for about a month. About two weeks ago, it looked a little green/brownish, but the water was perfectly balanced. I have a swg and hav been following the guidelines here to keep it 3-5 and avoid shocking. Acid usage has virtually dissappeared since using borates...it's usually locked in at 7.5! I've never seen it above 7.7.

I had been running my swg @ setting 2 for about 10 hrs a day, and tried setting 3 for 9 hrs a day. This took my Chlorine higer than I wanted, but still 0 CC. Since the water looked a little off color I decided to drop in a bag of the shock...no change.

Upon closer examination, and a week of not seeing my water "dance", I realized that the fiberglass had stains back....kind of like a very light tan/coffee color. That's making the water look a bit icky.

Looks like I'll be ordering the Vitamen C... and not Jack's majic @ $50 a bottle!

1. Did the higher chlorine levels help bring the stains back?

2. Should I be adding sequestering agent on a monthly basis to keep the iron in solution? I used Jack's magic Purple stuff.

Thanks again..

Andrew

akenis said:
Ref: stains-on-fiberglass-vs-patience-t5591.html

Looks like I'll be ordering the Vitamen C... and not Jack's majic @ $50 a bottle!

1. Did the higher chlorine levels help bring the stains back?
probably not
2. Should I be adding sequestering agent on a monthly basis to keep the iron in solution? I used Jack's magic Purple stuff.
YES!!!! weekly to monthly, depends on your pool. I would add the maintenance dose weekly for a month or two then drop back to every two weeks. If the stains don't reappear then try monthly. If staining repappears go back to whatever frequency of sequesterant addition kept the stains away.
Thanks again..

Andrew
You might not need the vitamin C if the stains are not too bad. Try dropping the pH to abut 7.2 and add a double dose (not a maintenance does) of sequesterant and see what happens first.
Also, what is your calcium hardness? If it is below 300 ppm raise it up to there. You might find it helps prevent the stains from returning as fast.

Thanks. I'm on the road now, but I think my CH was just about 300. Will double check when I get back.

Will try lowering PH and adding the purple stuff again... not sure I understand double dose, vs maintenance dose though?

Andrew

akenis said:
Thanks. I'm on the road now, but I think my CH was just about 300. Will double check when I get back.

Will try lowering PH and adding the purple stuff again... not sure I understand double dose, vs maintenance dose though?

Andrew
maintenance dose of most sequesterants is 2-4 oz per 10000 gallons every week to month. Treatment dose is usually 1 qt per 10000 gallons so a double dose would be 2 qts per 10000 gallons.

My CH was around 240, so I bumped it up to 300. Went to the pool store... about 30 bucks for a quart of the Purple Stuff. Also needed the little yellow diaphragm for my Zodiac ...$43 bucks. Decided not to buy it... a little piece of rubber!

Anyway, a double dose of the Purple Stuff would cost $60 at that rate. I went ahead and lowered PH to 7.2 and added the one bottle. We'll see if that has any effect. Going away for 4 days...

Online, I found the diaphragm for $25 and Purple Stuff for $15 a bottle, so I have a couple of maintenance doses....but shipping was $23!

Is Jack's Purple Stuff that good? Was thinking maybe I should try another brand. Also any recommendations on internet stores. I used http://www.aquasuperstore.com/default.aspx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.