Help opening with algae

Jan 19, 2012
Richland, PA
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread for you own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I can't close my pool with a cover on it for winter because it is so windy. I shred covers like crazy. It's just not economical. This year no cover, and I see algea already. 24' AGPl has half foot ice still on it, but I can see green below.
How to tackle this? I have DE filter which will clog fairly fast. COuld you get pH, cya, chlorine levels set with using a sump pump to circulate your water. Basically just looking for water movement to distribute chemicals, or does it really mater if your filtering out dead vs live algea?? If I use the pool pump/filter it will probably clog up fairly fast and not keep water moving.. Only going into my third year so still fairly new to this....
Is there anything that can be done now, while ice still covers the pool?

Does your main valve have a recirculate setting? If so that is much preferable to using a sump pump. While fighting algae with a DE filter it is often best to filter any time you are around to deal with the filter and leave it on recirculate the rest of the time. The filtering is going to have to happen at some point, but you do want to maintain circulation when you are not present to deal with the filter.

I don't have a recirculate on my DE either. The best thing to do is baby sit it dewey or have someone else baby sit it if you have to work. I don't shred covers so I won't be dealing with a swamp this year. Good luck and keep us posted.

Threw a sump pump in yesterday and some algeacide. I let the pump move water for about 7 hrs before I took it out. Not sure how much it might help, but figured it couldn't hurt.
This week we'll be having much nice weather. I'm sure the cold weather isn't over with, but would others here recommend cleaning this pool up sooner than later, even though we're not done with winter?

In South Central PA, Richland, PA to be exact.
Pool temp ?? Pool was still 60% covered in ice yesterday afternoon, by this morning the rain we had managed to melt any existing ice. Today was the first time since last fall where it hasn't had ice on it. I'd guess 33-38 F.
I assume get the pH right, and shock it. Scrub liner and run filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like I got my algea problem licked. Made all my adjustments to the water, and then chlorinated with liquid bleach, and kept chlorine levels up. Just circulated the water for several days, then added the filter. After 2 1/2-3 days had crystal clear water. Had to change my DE out 2X. I think I'm the first one around my parts with an opened pool.
Seems like this will be my opening approach, as no cover over winter will mean I get algea. Just need to tackle it early. Thanks all for the help.

Note: I use heavy walled clear 1 1/2 in transparent hose between pool and pump/filter. Came home to find my pool drained down to the eyeball. Hose popped off connector. Being as cold as it was, I probably couldn't tighten hose clamp as tight as I needed. It felt clamped down well enough, but after finding pool dowm about 6-8 inches after work one day, apparently it wasn't. Double clamped everything now, and check clamps everyday. Re filling the pool, making adjustments, slowed my cleaning process down. At least I wasn't away for a week to come home to another green mess. Learned a valuable lesson. Once it warms up, and I can get piping/connectors, I'm gonna hardpipe. Don't want to go thru that again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.