Test kit arrived, initial thorough cleaning and stock up

Jan 15, 2014
Kingsland, GA
Hey y'all, I've been reading and trying to get a grasp of things. The TF-100 kit came in Saturday. I've never tested before, just threw two jugs of chlorine in during the middle of winter and a few tablets in the chlorinator, several months back. I need to scrub, vacume and clean the cartridge today. I have read that I need to let the cleaned cartridge run for about an hour before testing. In the mean time is there a good rule of thumb as to the amount of bleach and such to have on hand prior to testing? There are two jugs of chlorine left over from the past owner, about half a jug of muratic acid and half a container of tablets. Just trying to figure out a quantity to have on hand and I guess a good starting point. I'll post my test results as soon as they are accomplished this evening. Thanks for any help or assitance that can be lended. Awesome site by the way!

If you have algae, then you will need to SLAM the pool and that is going to require a lot of bleach. How much depends on what your CYA level is and hour much algae you have.

You just need the water to circulate for an hour or so before testing, has nothing to do with the cartridge.

Note that the old bleach will have lost some of its strength.

Okay, tried it out today and here are the results.....

FC=9
CC=no chloramines
CH= I was kind of confused on this one. At about 14 drops the bottom of the solution started turning blue which would equate to 350 I kept going until the whole solution was blue which came out to 1075 :/
TA=160
CYA=100

If y'all need anything else please let me know. The pool is clear looking. I'll have to take a picture and post it.

Were you swirling all the tests continuously? I have never seen the CH test "separate" like that. The SpeedStir makes all these tests much easier.

Well, your CYA is at least double the recommended levels. So, first step would be to replace half of your water.

In the CH test is just stated to count drops until it turns blue. I didn't swirl that one. Guess I'm suppose to swirl everything test wise.

There is a chlorinator coming off the filter housing that has like 4 tablets in it. A jug of chlorine was added about a week ago cause algae was starting to grow and accumulate on the sides. I scrubbed the sides, and vacuumed the pool then cleaned the filter and added the jug on recommendations from work. :/ guess I screwed that one up. The chlorinator thing is set on 2 of 10 settings 10 being the highest.

PH looked to be within the range of 7.2-7.8

Last edited:
Take a look at the CH Test on TFTestkits YouTube Channel. It will give you more of an idea on this test. This test is one of the hardest to get correct at first, right behind the CYA test......but after a few tries you'll start to get the hang of things rather quickly. Regardless, I agree with the other two, your first step should be replacing enough water to lower your CYA level to around 40. Then switch to liquid chlorine from here on out.

Welcome to the site!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.