Pump failing.....need adivice

calstar

Feb 28, 2014
santa barbara, california
Just got a new re-plaster, cleaned the de grid filter(hose and then acid bath), turned it on, loaded it with the correct amount of de through the skimmer(6lbs as per the filter instructions). It started at 8lbs which is typical of this pump/filter from having 13 years experience with it. I soon noticed a small amount of water appearing under the pump(I cannot see the source) on the enclosed cement pad, also a "gravelly" sound which I hadn't notice before(cavitation?). I'm into the 2nd day of running the pump in the start-up, water leakage has increased, pump pressure is now 2-3lbs(!), still moving water but not much. So....suggestions? New impeller and seals?The pump is a Hayward 1.5hp "Max-flo" pump, purchased new by me in 2001 so I don't know if parts or rebuild kits are available.

I thought maybe the plasterer partially clogged the "drain" at the pool bottom , but when I switched from the skimmer to the vacum suction line on the side of the pool the pressure remained at its meager 2-3lbs, so I assume clogging did not occur during the replaster. Also the pump has not been run during the last 3 months if that's a factor.

any help/advice greatly appreciated, thanks, Brian

Only ways for the filter pressure to drop are:
- suction clog (seems unlikely given the multiple paths you tried, unless it is between the valves and the pump)
- impeller clogged
- pressure clog between the pump and the filter.
- bad filter gauge?

A little leaking from the shaft seal I would not think would lower the pressure that much.
I would pull the pump apart and inspect the impeller before ordering anything.

With the motor now making noise (bearing?) a new seal and impeller may not be worth it if the motor is failing.

Where is a good online place to order parts for a complete wet head rebuild(seals, diffuser, impeller, gaskets, etc.)? The pump is 13 years old so if I go to the trouble of removing it may as well do a complete tune-up. Interesting how I went to the Leslie store about 1/2 mile from my house, they had zero parts for the Max-flow and a 7-10 day delivery time, pretty sure most online stores can get it to me faster than that.

Thanks, Brian

Leslie never seems to have any parts in stock. No idea where to suggest online though, but I would not spend $ on this pump if there is a chance you may get a new one. Pull it apart and see if there is something wrong first. You do not need to replace any seals when you are just looking at the impeller.

I wouldn't spend any money on rehabing this. Look more towards getting a 2 speed 1 hp replacement (and whatever to control it). You should be able to save power (I understand it's pretty expensive in CA) and get a better filtering job. I bought my last pump online from A1 there in CA, and was very pleased with the service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.