Automatic suction type pool cleaner - Need recommendations!

Jul 12, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
I recently purchased a Sandpro 75 Pump and Filter system and now wanting to purchase an automatic pool cleaner but only can spend $250 or less right now. I have looked on here and other sites and I'm to the point that the more I look the more confused I get. Can anyone on here recommend this type of pool cleaner? I spent more time cleaning my pool last year than I did in it and I don't want to do that again this summer. I live in Texas and the trees I have around me are constantly dropping something into my pool. I recently purchased the Intex Deluxe Pool Skimmer but eventually want to install a through the wall skimmer but needed to get something quickly for now.

I can't figure out out how to modify my signature but I have an 18'x48" Intex Ultra frame pool with the SandPro Pump and Filter system.

Thanks for any recommendations!!

I have the Kreepy krAuly Lil Shark. I do have to babysit a little but it gets the bottom clean and there are no moving parts to break. It does not climb the walls the Aqua Bug will and it gets good reviews. I found the Shark as an open box on eBay for 92. I couldn't pass it up.

Hello and welcome to the forum! When you say you want an 'automatic' cleaner, do you mean a robotic cleaner? Or just something to keep you from having to do it manually?

There are three kinds of pool cleaners, each with pro's and con's:

Suction Side Cleaners ($100-400)

Suction-side cleaners attach to the suction line of your pool’s plumbing system. They clean using suction power to pull debris from the floor and walls. The unit then picks up and deposits this debris and passes it through to your skimmer and pool filtration system.

Pros:

Lower cost
Great for smaller to medium sized pools
Less moving parts

Cons:

Causes additional wear and tear on your pool pump
Continuous use of your pool pump to clean your pool
More taxing on your pool filter system

Pressure Side Cleaners ($400-1000)

Pressure side cleaners use water pressure from a dedicated booster pump and/or pool pump to drive the cleaner around your pool and force debris into a filter bag where it can be collected and easily removed.

Pros:

Less pool filter and pump maintenance
Great for medium to large pools
Many available replacement parts

Cons:

Often requires a second pump or booster pump

Robotic Pool Cleaners ($350-1500)

These cleaners have a self contained filtration system that doesn’t put any additional wear on your existing pool equipment. Another benefit of owning a robotic cleaner is the ease of use. Just plug-in the cleaner’s control unit into an outlet, submerge the cleaner underwater, press the power button, and let the cleaner do the rest! Hate cleaning those filthy pool walls? Most high end models will even clean them for you.Suction-side cleaners attach to the suction line of your pool’s plumbing system. They clean using suction power to pull debris from the floor and walls. The unit then picks up and deposits this debris and passes it through to your skimmer and pool filtration system.

Pros:

Better cleaning & filtration
Energy efficient
Operates quietly
Longer warranties
Remotes and storage caddy’s available
Cons:

Higher prices
Having to remove and insert the cleaner from the pool when needed
Might be excessive for your size pool

*There are a few robotic pool cleaners designed specifically for above-ground pools, that fall below $350, but they are still over $300

Let me know if you have any other questions. And if you know why type of cleaner you are looking for, I am happy to point you in a more product-specific direction. :)

Also, this is how you set up your signature box
Settings_-_Trouble_Free_Pool.jpg

I have a Hayward Navigator and love it. Replacement parts are readily available at any pool store and on ebay. I have owned 2 since I installed my pool over 12 years ago. I also have a lot of trees. I would also buy the leaf canister to catch all the debris. I keep mine plugged in all the time. It comes on when the filter comes on. I occasionally remove it if there is going to be a lot of people in the pool. Every year I replace the cork shoes for normal maintenance.

In my experience suction side cleaners are one of those things where more money buys better quality, but even the cheap ones seem to do a reasonably good job of cleaning, they just have poor parts availability and lower quality construction. Also paying more money does nothing to ensure the cleaner will not get stuck in your pool, I have owned $300+ suction side cleaners that would get stuck in a corner by the ladder constantly and cheap sub $100 units that would seem to never get hung up, it just depends on the pool and the cleaner. So since you have a relatively small pool, the budget seems tight, you might want to consider one of the cheap sub $100 made in china Kreepy Krauly clones off ebay, just be aware that these are usually only good for a season or two before they fall apart. Like others have said an inline leaf trap would probably be a good addition (either bought with the cleaner or separately).

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.