My chlorine level isn't dropping...

rarat5

Aug 20, 2007
Orange Park FL
...in my 10400 gallon AGP. Last weekend I had a nice neon green pool and a chlorine level of 1PPM so I added right at 3 gallons of bleach as instructed by the pool calculator. The next morning the water still had a greenish blue tint (i didn't check the numbers) but I added almost 3 more gallons of bleach. That afternoon I had the water tested at Ace and the FC was 18. CYA has been 40-50 the entire time. The problem is every day for the last week I tested the water (TF-100) and my FC is staying at 16 (32 drops before clear). My pH is 7.2 and my CYA is still 50. I've been running the pump 24/7 and backwashed twice, why won't the FC go down? I'm concerned for my liner with the FC so high for long. The water looks great though! Any ideas?

Thanks
Randy

Don't worry about the liner. You are fine. Are you adding chlorine in any other way besides the bleach you added when you shocked? Do you have the pool covered or is it exposed to sunlight? If it's covered then uncover it.
Which Ace did you go to? I know the Hagan Aces in Jax and surrounding areas use LaMotte testing and can only test FC up to 10 ppm.

If you would put the details about your pool and equipment into your signature it would really be helpful.

I do have an auto chlorinator but it's been turned down to between off and 1/4. Maybe I should turn it off until the level drops. It's uncovered and exposed to sunlight ( the little we have been getting lately) but has not had much activity lately as I haven't let the kids get in until the FC drops.

I visit the Hagin Ace south of College on Blanding (South OP) and they've been very helpfull. They have been testing my water and providing FC results well above 10, though I'm not sure if the system is guessing or not. I have been much more pleased with the consistency of the Ace results over Pinch a Penny's, as well as the testers knowledge.

rarat5 said:
I do have an auto chlorinator but it's been turned down to between off and 1/4. Maybe I should turn it off until the level drops. It's uncovered and exposed to sunlight ( the little we have been getting lately) but has not had much activity lately as I haven't let the kids get in until the FC drops.

I visit the Hagin Ace south of College on Blanding (South OP) and they've been very helpfull. They have been testing my water and providing FC results well above 10, though I'm not sure if the system is guessing or not. I have been much more pleased with the consistency of the Ace results over Pinch a Penny's, as well as the testers knowledge.
Possibly they are backing up the LaMotte test with a Taylor test. We do that at the Ace in St. Augustine when the need arises.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.