SWG Plumbing head-scratcher, need advice on how to tackle this

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
I am getting everything ready to install my SWG, but I have a plumbing issue that I'm not certain how to tackle.

Here is a picture of where I was planning to transplant my existing chlorine dispenser (c'est la vis!)

Here is where i'm not sure what to do aside from cutting out the multiflow thingie:

This is more doable as I have some pipe to work with

Or just remove everything starting from the left of the dispenser to these two pipes and cut them out:

Most three way valves can accept two pipe sizes, one going inside, as yours is, and the larger side fitting over the outside of the connection. Thus, you could cut off the connection on the chlorinator side of the three way valve, and use a larger pipe size with a reducer almost right away,

Thats brilliant actually!

Is this what you mean Jason?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-PVC-DWV-Reducing-Coupling-C4801HD2112/100346360

I wonder if it makes sense to keep the dispenser at all...im actually now thinking (since the screw in fittings into the dispenser are loose...meaning I can rotate the entire canaster up and down) to cut it here:

So looking at that pic from sargent, I went to home depot and laid this out, I went with the "sweeping 90 elbows" as I've heard that would be better for overall performance.

What do you guys think?

If you don't care about the saving the old chlorinator, I would say cut the chlorinator on the right side, and spin off the remaining piece. Then you can just thread on an adapter to that side. The other side you have some room to work with if you just cut it off, and if you need even more room, you can cut it off at the vertical pipe coming off the filter.

The short piece of 2" pipe will fit over the end of the three way valve at one end, after you cut off the fitting currently connected to the 3 way valve, and the other end will connect to the reducer.
{EDIT}This is wrong, a standard 2" fitting will fit the outside of the valve, not a 2" pipe, see below.{/EDIT}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In your picture you have elbows that are meant for waste-water pipe, non-pressurized. You need fittings that are designed to take pressure. What Jason was talking about for the three way valve is that it looks like there is a 1-1/2 inch pipe slipped into the valve. You need to cut that off and slip a 2 inch pipe over the valve. Then you can get a bushing to reduce the pipe size to 1-1/2 inch.
This elbow over the valve: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...Elbow-406-020HC/100131664?N=buu6Z5yc1vZ25ecod
This bushing to reduce to 1-1/2 inch: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...hing-437-251HC/100191192?N=5yc1vZbuu6Z1z114x9
This for your other (1-1/2 inch) elbows: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...Elbow-406-015HC/100044573?N=buu6Z5yc1vZ25ecod
This picture should give you an idea of where to cut. Add_SWG.jpg

I think Jason is mistaken. The OD of a larger pipe will match the outside diameter of the valve, you then use a coupler to attach then.

In reality you could just use a larger coupler and then a reducer in the coupler back to your normal pipe size.

Also I agree avoid using non-schedule 40 fittings like those sweep 90s.

jblizzle is correct, I explained it wrong. A standard 2" 45 degree fitting (or other fitting as needed) will connect directly to the outside of the valve, not a 2" pipe. You may still need a bit of 2" pipe for connecting the other end of that fitting to the reducer.

Ok so I'll change out to the schedule 40 elbows tomorrow, I do have two 2" to 1-1/2" bushings that fit right into a 2" coupling I have. So would that mean I could connect that bushing adaptor directly to the elbow?

Just to confirm, I need to get a 2" elbow and that will connect to the valve?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.