Two speed pump PSI and return jets

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
Hey guys, I installed my 2 speed 1hp pump last week and since I've been in the SLAM process I never tried low speed aside from testing to see if it actually worked or not.

Anyhow, I'm close to the end of the SLAM process (MY POOL IS VERY VERY CLEAN! THANK YOU TFTP AND BBB!!!!!) and in preparation of installing my SWG and whatnot, I have a few concerns when I switch my pump to low speed.

First, after I have backwashed, the Clean PSI on the sand filter is 11 psi, when I switch to low power on the pump, it drops down to about 4-5 psi. Is this to be expected?

Now something may be of consequence, I recently bought this house and honestly up until about an 1hr ago I noticed I didnt have jet returns (never owned a pool before so I really never noticed!), I just have 3 returns and it just has the opening where you can screw on the fittings when its winterized.

Here is a picture:

(sorry if its a crude drawing)

So im going to order some return jets, any suggestions? I saw the circulator 360, its kinda pricey, but do the cheaper 5-10$ ones work any good?

The wind blows from left to right on the diagram, so it goes mostly towards the skimmer, I assume I should point the jets at a 45 degree angle towards the skimmer?

I feel silly asking these questions but you all have been amazing and any advice, thoughts are most welcome and appreciated!

It is normal for the psi on the filter to drop significantly when running on low speed.

I really like the inexpensive directional "eyeball" return fittings. In most situations you want the ones with larger openings, typically 1". They give you very good control to setup a circulation pattern and tend to be very reliable. I would avoid anything fancier as it is not needed and has more opportunities to break.

oh thank god about the low speed psi....I was thinking that I did something wrong...

Do you think adding 1" return jets will improve curculation that much especially on on low speed on the pump? I know its a dumb question but I'd rather ask then get the "Release the kraken" look from the wife when I install something that makes no difference LOL

I found these, think they are ok?

http://www.amazon.com/Pool-Eyeball-...?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1395671226&sr=1-52

or these?

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP141...8&qid=1395671427&sr=1-3&keywords=pool+eyeball

The big difference that the eyeball fittings make is that you can aim them, creating a consistent circulation pattern that mixes all of the water. Without fittings the jets just shoot straight out, which doesn't lead to any kind of consistent water mixing.

I have found that going with a smaller diameter eyeball (3/4") increases the exit velocity of the water (ft/sec) which can be helpful on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.