Time to replace the pool water?

Mar 19, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Hi Everyone!

Recently i purchased a home that has a pool! I'm finally starting to look at it after a couple months of owning the property. About 2 months ago i took my water to a shop to get tested and today I performed a test using the taylor-k2006 test kit.

Here's the results:

poolshop, 2 months ago:

FreeChlorine=2.47
ph-7.6
TA=121ppm
Calcium Hardness = 626

Taylor k-2006 test kit:

Couldn't measure chlorine
ph > 8.0
TA = 220ppm
Calcium Hardness = 700-800ppm
Cynuric Acid = > 100 (the test wouldn't measure anything greater than 100)

Given these test results, does this pretty much mean i need to drain and replace all the pool water?
If so.. I was thinking about switching to a salt water generator. Would this be the ideal time to do it?
Also, i noticed in the pump setup there is an ionizer ( i think that's what it's called ). Even with that, is it worth switching to salt water?

Thanks a lot!

You probably need to replace about half to two thirds of your water. Just how much depends on your CYA level, but it won't be all of your water.

I recommend removing the ionizer, we strongly recommend against ionizers.

You can switch to salt at any time, it has nothing to do with draining water. In any case, this is a fairly good time to install a salt system, i.e. while you are not using the pool.

You should start lowering your PH right away. High PH, TA, and CH levels at the same time are very likely to cause calcium scaling. You want to get PH down before that starts happening, of if it already started, now so as little scaling as possible happens.

95% of the time, an ionizer is used on an indoor pool--you don't need it.. SWG upgrade is strictly a personal choice of convenience. Now is good a time as any! Never drain the pool over 50% at one time. Then refill and retest your CYA level. You should first and foremost get your Ph down using muriatic acid to the lower 7 range with calcium that high to prevent scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.