first time test with new kit w/ results

Jun 17, 2008
west tennessee
i just received the new tf test kit and anxiously tested my cloudy water. the results are:

fas/dpd .5
cya 20
cc 1
fc .5
tc 1.5
ph 7.2
ta 270

my question is "where do i start?" my ta is off the charts, i checked it 3 times just to make sure. my guess is to add stabilizer. any help will be appreciated. thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

Your FC level is very low and your CC level is fairly high. This might be a testing error. Did the sample turn all the way clear when you were testing FC, or might there have still be a very slight pink? Assuming it isn't testing error, you need to raise your FC level. I suggest raising FC to 5 each evening while CYA is where it is. If your CC level doesn't come down in a day or two you will need to shock the pool, but I expect that it will come down once you add the right amount of chlorine.

Your TA level is quite high. Because of that, I expect that PH will tend to jump up every time it rains or if there are lots of kids splashing in the pool. You can lower TA by following the suggestions in this pool school article.

You should add some CYA. Aim for a level of 30 to 50.

It would be good to get a CH level.

i was in a hurry and i feel that i need to add some more info, i have a auto chlorine puck dispenser and i have been working out of town and when i got back it was empty. i have refilled it yesterday and tested today. i want to move to bbb soon.

as far as the fc test goes, i believe it was so close to clear the first drop, but i know it was on the second. the pool has been cloudy and i can see the drain for the first time this year, and it still has a small amount of algae in it. thanks for your quick response. jeff

after my post WWW.TFTESTKITS.COM, dave called and told me that my dropper was bad and he would send me a new one, what great customer service! i switched the droppers on the bottles and my ta is 110, a lot better! just wanted to update. i also added 3 gal. of bleach and the chlorine is at 10 and has been there for 3 hrs so far. thanks again.

Jeff,

I would stop using chlorine pucks all together and just use them if you are going to away for a few days and not able to look after the pool. I actually took my auto chlorinator off my return line to take away the temptation. Its sometimes handy to have a neighbor that you can trust look after your pool while your away. If your chemicals are all balanced and your water is clear it only takes 10- 15 mins daily to do the tests so they would maybe spend 30 mins in the evening doing the water test and a quick brush. Something is better than nothing at all!
Even if they dont test the water every night but pour in a jug of bleach and brush the pool that in its self would be a big help.

Wold love to see pictures of your pool !

Also in your signature it would be helpful to all if you could list your pool size, material its made of (vinyl, gunite etc) ,filter type and HP of the pump etc so our experts here will be able to help you better with any issues you might come up with.

Good Luck !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.