Triton TR60 Sand Change - I'm so dumb

Jul 15, 2013
Germantown, TN
So we're recovering from our harsh (for Memphis) winter and I wanted to start getting the pool in shape. I needed to replace my pressure gauge on the filter (broke over the winter) as well as the O-ring around the lid to the filter as it was slowly leaking.

I knew you had to release the pressure somehow....so I stupidly...so stupidly...pull the sand drain plug at the bottom of the unit. I thought it was just a water/pressure release plug...didn't realize it was the "sand drain". Needless to say an ***-ton of sand started rushing out of the filter.

So now I'm committed to changing the sand as a good portion of my sand rushed out.

HomeDepot sells Quickrete No. 1153 "Pool Filter Sand" for about $4per 50lb bag. The side the the filter calls for #20 silica sand...and the particle size called for on the side of the filter seems smaller than the quickrete stuff. Am I correct in assuming i need to buy the expensive sand from my pool supply store rather than the cheap stuff from home depot?

Also...any other tips when i start filling the sucker back up with 275lbs of sand?

View attachment 27958

Thanks for the help....

Oh..I attached a picture of the label from the side of my unit.

QuickCrete No. 1153 Filter Sand is acceptable. It has a slightly wider range of particle sizes, but the smallest size matches the correct smallest size, which is the critical thing.

Awesome...thanks for the reply! The side of my filter says 275lbs of sand and 50lbs of gravel. I don't think I'm going to do the gravel...does this mean I need 325lbs of sand or am I ok to just dumb 275lbs of the quickcrete 1153 in there?

thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.