How to install aerator.

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
An aerator was never installed on my pool when it was built a few years ago. Currently there is just a pvc pipe coming out of the wall. What are my steps I need to take (besides clean the pipe)? I do not own any products yet (i.e. actual aerator).

Attachments

• 2014-03-22 09.23.02.jpg
    2014-03-22 09.23.02.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 195
First you need to figure out how your aerator will attach. The most common approach is to put a standard return fitting (1.5" female NPT) on the pipe. I can't really see in the photo, there is some chance that is already there.

That is my suggestion. There are other ways of doing it. Because the tile is already in place, adding a fitting will increase how much it sticks out from the wall, a disadvantage. Still, it gives you more flexibility going forward, as you can connect and disconnect whatever you add at any time.

Bought the part. Do I need to do anything chemistry wise since there is some green algae in there? SLAM the pool during first run or manage with fc on the high side of my range. Who knows what is in the whole pipe but hasn't been run since day 1 of the pool.

I've made a little progress but I'm stuck on what to do next. I bought the aerator from pentair. It has 3/4" threaded end.

I purchased a brushing that fits the aerator side and the opposite side to slip on was 1.25" which is the width of the pipe coming out of the wall.

However, when I put the bushing on the pvc pipe coming out of the wall, it's a very loose fit. I looked closer at the pipe coming out of the wall and I noticed that the portion of the pipe outside of the wall seems to be slightly bigger than the what the dimensions are of the pipe in the wall. It might be hard to tell from this picture, but that pipe is not that large once it goes into the tile. Does that mean there is some kind of adapter on the portion that is outside of the wall? Thoughts on how to get this thing attached?

I wonder if that is actually a smaller pipe size with the outer ring of a slip fitting glued around the outside.

Can you measure the inside diameter? Then we can see what size/kind of pipe that matches up with. Maybe we can find something that will glue to the inside.

That could very well be it. It's hard to get a picture of, but the diameter of the pipe never changes inside so it's the same pipe, but like you said, there may be a fitting attached around it. Outside diameter is about 1.25" and the inside opening is 3/4"

Then it is probably 3/4" schedule 40 with a slip coupling glued on the outside, with most of the coupling sawn off. Inside diameter would be 0.824 and outside would be 1.276.

If I have guessed and calculated correctly, 1-1/4" schedule 80 pipe should be a very tight fit over the outside of that (1.278), and 1-1/4" schedule 40 a slightly loose fit (1.380). That is pipe, not 1-1/4" fittings, which will certainly be loose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will check into getting those. I flipped on the switch for the aerator for the first time ever today and fortunately even though the pipe looked nasty, the water is pretty clear coming out. I'm going to run it for a bit to keep a fresh supply of FC 5ppm water running thru it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.