Pool Heater Question(s)

Frank Raff

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2013
East Bethel, MN
Hello,
Planning on having a Pool Heater installed this spring... a Rheem M406A (Nat. Gas). The first installer indicated I will need to have my home gas meter upgraded as it's too small for the flow rate the pool heater will need. I've been doing quite a bit of investigating on a pool heater and this is the first I've heard or read about replacing the meter (maybe this is an obvious upgrade). Does anyone have any experience with this - costs, etc? I know costs depend on location (live in MN) but an idea would be helpful. Based on the markings on my meter, I believe any heater above a 200,000 btu will require a meter upgrade. Any advice on what to make sure I ask for in the installation of the Heater? My wife indicated we need a fire switch added... haven't heard of that either??

Thanks,
Frank

We needed to upgrade our gas meter. The gas company paid for the new meter, while we paid for the new gas line run out to the pool. Pool heaters tend to draw more gas then everything else in your house put together, so needing to upgrade the meter is fairly common.

A "fireman switch" is an optional feature on many timers that turns the heater off ten minutes (or so) before the pump goes off. Most, but not all, heaters require this so they have time with full water flow to cool down and don't overheat internally when the water flow stops. Your heater manual will say if it is required or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.