High TA

reneec

Jun 12, 2007
I just tested my pool and my TA is 190. Is that to high for a vinyl pool, 20,000 gallons. No other problems. Pool is crystal clear. I recently added absorbic acid to try to get rid of stains on my step, which didn't work. I was wondering if this would raise my TA. Do I need to worry about the 190 or is is OK? By, the way I just started using BBB this year and I am thrilled. This is the best my pool has ever looked. Thanks for all the help

Renee, I think you will be fine with that TA. If your pH was up around 7.8 or 8.0 and your CH was up around 400, that could cause some scaling problems but your numbers are ideal to prevent scaling so I wouldn't worry about it.

Check your pH every 3-5 days for a few weeks. If your pH is rising up rather quickly (say it's at 7.8 in a week) then I would consider bringing TA down to around 100 or so. If your pH is pretty steady, I'd leave everything alone.

duraleigh said:
Renee, I think you will be fine with that TA. If your pH was up around 7.8 or 8.0 and your CH was up around 400, that could cause some scaling problems but your numbers are ideal to prevent scaling so I wouldn't worry about it.

Help me understand that first statement please? She indicated that she has a vinyl pool -if I read correctly. What is it that is supposed to scale? I gather that vinyl pools do not scale but could other things? Pump, lines, filters?

I'd really like to know please.

Thanks,

Dan

dfiletti said:
So calcium scale forms on vinyl then?

Interested.

Dan
it certainly can if water conditions are right for it to form. Calcium is a metal and scale is just a form of metal 'staining'. Vinyl pools are not immune to metal stains and scale deposits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.