Pool Spa Size

We will soon (eventually?) be starting on the construction of our rectangular pool. (Currently waiting for permits.)

We will have a raised spa on the far side of the pool. (See my rendering attempt below.) I'm trying to figure out what size to make the spa. The PB says that he typically makes them 7'x7' (waterline). In my backyard, it might be a little difficult / inconvenient to go 7' back. What do you all think about 8' wide, and 6' long? That would still be with a bench on all 4 sides I assume.

Alternatively, what about something say 10' x 5', with a bench on only 3 of the sides (i.e. the 2 short sides, and only the far long side)?

Thanks for any opinions!

WGYDRMI.jpg

You call that an "attempt" at rendering!? Looks great!

5' is really narrow...you're right that you'd be bumping knees with people on the other side, it just seems like a waste to have it almost wide enough. I think 6' would probably be OK.

Well, if I were to do 5' by 9 or 10 feet, I would only have a seat / bench on 3 sides. So, there couldn't be anyone across from you if you sat on the long side... There's a fence behind it, so there's not much of a view looking back anyway...

Does that make sense, or does that just sound weird?

Actually - I guess my real (other) question is - how many people can fit in it? Maybe for the 8'x6', I can have 4 on each long side for 8 total people? For 9' or 10' by 5', maybe it would only fit 5 or 6?

I'll be following this thread! So excuse the freeloading! =) We are talking to the last two PBs to decide on who to go with and one of the last items to decide on is the SPA.
PB1 one had designed it at 8x8.
PB2 designed at 6x6 and said 8x8 is just too big for a pool our size (longer to heat up).
I had not thought of doing a rectangular SPA, this might just be brilliant... ;)

FYI, I found this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/36114-Spa-size

An excerpt about square / rectangular spas:

My spa is a square 7 x 7 with benches on all four sides and two jets on each of three of the walls. The square shape gives plenty of room for six. If the opposite wall were much closer the leg well would become a bit crowded. An oval shape to work as well would need to be something near 6 x 8, (that is of course based on the SWAG estimating method).

Here's another link. No idea what biases those authors have, so take it with a grain of salt, but here's a quote:

Which shapes make the most efficient use of interior space?

Efficiency of interior space usage begins with the size of the footwell. It is easy enough to design a spa with seating for eight, but you need amble leg room for everyone to be comfortable. "This is why round spas are not very popular," Lynam says. Square spas with open seating and no loungers tend to offer the roomiest interiors, Vander Ploeg sayss.

How a spa's design utilizes its outer edges and corners is often overlooked. Lynam explains that if the spa has wide ledges around the perimeter (where the cover sits) and sweeping corner radii, the seats have to be moved inward, which shrinks the size of the footwell.

Just a note. Do leave a ledge around the outside of the spa. Nearly always someone will get too hot and then sit on the ledge with only their feet in the water. In fact it is nice if that is wide enough to recline back on your hands/elbows.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.