Can you put an above ground pool in the hole of an inground, indoor pool?

Mar 22, 2014
Illinois
I have a unique question. We have an indoor, in-ground, 20X40, 3ft to 10ft deep pool that was probably built in the 70's. We filled with water last year but after 3-4 weeks, it ran dry. In brain-storming ideas, is it possible to fill the deep end with mason sand to level it, and install an above ground pool (which would relatively be sunken into the ground) into the hole that is already there? We would then do the cosmetics to complete it. HELP!

Welcome to TFP !!
Very neat idea. It might just work. First you would need a pool that is rated for burial. Warranty reasons I would think. As you said fill in the deep end and level it with the shallow end. Instead of sand which doesn't compact very well, you could use screenings from a quarry which does compact well. You would have to put it in 1ft lifts or so and compact each lift until you get level. Maybe a couple inches over the shallow end also so the liner isn't on the pool floor. You could use the same material to back fill around the pool then.
I take it, it would be an oval pool ? I'm not sure my idea would work. Just throwing something out there. Let's see if anybody else has some ideas. ?

It may be a lot cheaper and more eye pleasing to fix and keep what sounds like a nice big pool. Have you had it leak checked by anyone? Is it concrete/vinyl lined or what? Welcome to the forum.

I feel anything is possible with imagination and a well thought out plan. What's pleasing to the eye for one person is different for another. This idea might go against the grain but that's ok. Just my 0.02. ?

Bomber - welcome to TFP.

Thinking outside the box, doing something different, is certainly something I did on my build so if it works for you go for it. Whichever option, one thing really hit me, and maybe you have thought of it. Where did 40,000+ gallons (assuming an avg depth of 7.5ft) go in just 3-4 weeks and what did it do on the way. Before doing anything (and maybe woody was getting at this too) it may be a good idea to have the existing pool vessel and surrounding area inspected for voids, wash-outs, sink holes, or similar. Good luck.

Well, any resolution to this? What are you going to do with this pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.