DIY fence or contract out?

Feb 24, 2014
wisconsin
Hi i do most of my own DIY projects around my house and also at my rental house. My question is about fence building? I have never erected a fence. I would save about 3k if i do it myself. is it beneficial to tackle myself or just contract it out. We are planing a rectangle black aluminum fence with 2 gates.

A fence is a very reasonable DIY project. Just keep in mind that it is a great deal of work. The only even partial challenge is keeping the fence posts spaced properly and vertical, which isn't all that difficult.

We just had our fence finished yesterday..we thought about doing it ourselves...we thought long and hard..for us though..we are glad we had someone else do it..lots of work digging for those post holes.

Fence is not difficult to build at all...IF...you have the right tools to build it with. I built my own 6 ft wood fence, almost 300 ft of it and it looks good too! I borrowed a nail gun and gas powered post hole digger from a couple of friends and it was a piece of cake and I didnt have any help either. It will probably take longer than you think too, because it is indeed a lot of work planting all the posts and making sure everything is plumb and all the rest that goes along with it. But it isnt hard really.

Hey Superfly,
Yes I do have a tip or two.

Don't count on trying to space the posts perfectly on equally spaced centers. You prolly can't get them perfect, but you can get them within a couple inches. (You will never notice a couple inches if you stand way back and look at it.) But dont be sloppy about it, try and keep the posts as closely centered if possible. When you set the posts you can use a decent size hammer and block of wood to tap the bottom of the post a bit to move it around some if you need to. And you will need to. Quite often.

This is what I did. (a tip from a youtube I found). Set the post spacings 4-6 inches shorter than the length of the horizontal rail. When you go to install the rail, set it up to be post and mark the rail at the centerline of the post, and then trim off the few inches on the end of the rail. This method will allow each horizontal to center up on the post. Then butt up the next horizontal rail to the one just installed. Mark it on center of the next post and trim off the end... and so on. When you are finished, every horizontal will be in the center of each post and it will look really nice.

If you dont do this, and for example a span is 2 inches too wide, well then its just 2 inches too wide and you have a problem. Its hard to stretch a board, pipe or whatever else type material you are working with. You will have to go buy a longer one, and cut it off to length to fix the problem.

Another tip. Dont skimp on the post depth deep either. The depth of the post is critical to the stability of the fence. Especailly if you get some fairly strong winds on occasion.
a 40 mph wind could easily blow down a solid wood, metal, PVC or any type of solid fence with posts that are planted too shallow. Can't tell you how many fences I have seen blown down where i live because the post was too shallow. The post either comes completely out of the ground or they snap off just above the ground. You can rent gas powered post hole digger, they are worth every penny, and more. Trust me on that one.

Also a post planted too shallow will not stay plumb. It wont be long and they will start to lean over due to the weight of the pickets, pulling on them, and you end up with an ugly leaning fence that will probably be blown down by the wind.

I just noticed you are from Wisconsin. The post needs to go deeper than the frost line, or its subject to heave out of the ground when the ground freezes. Check what your frost line is and use the recommendations of how deep to plant the post based upon that. (I suppose you prolly already know that though).

Hope this helps,

any tips for keeping the spacing right while the post setup in the concrete?

Superfly,
Generally speaking, yes. Its difficult at best however to make specific suggestion on a fence without more info about it. I really would have to see the fence you are planning to use. Would you happen to have a link to the fence?

isacc, its totally on the property... about 20 feet from the property line.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, thanks for the advice. Does your method work the same for aluminum ornamental fencing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had my fence for more than 12 years and it has stayed standing through hurricanes and tornados. One post has rotted and I dreaded digging it out and replacing it. The other day, I discovered the "Fence Mender". It took me about 2 minutes to beat it into the ground and then I had to screw it to the rotted posts. The section of fence is standing perfectly straight and tight. I love this product. Here's the link in case anyone else needs it:

$10 at Home Depot

http://www.amazon.com/Simpson-Strong-Tie-FPBM44E-Ez-Mender/dp/B004I3YYN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395848361&sr=8-1&keywords=fence+mender

Ok. I skimmed over some of the replies so sorry if I repeat anything. I am finishing up 260 lf w/ 3 gates of aluminum fencing this weekend. You can definitely do, but here are some tips. 1. You have to dig as you go, don't try to pull strings and dig all the holes first. The panels slide into the posts and you really have to put it together as you go. 2. Buy a post level or two. These fit on two sides of your post with a rubber band and make it much quicker to plumb. 3. Figure out what your space is between the ground and your panels and cut yourself a lot of spacers to place under the panels as you go. This will keep everything uniform. 4. Use bungee cords to temporarily hold the panels tight into the posts until the concrete sets and you can screw them together. 5. Don't even attempt in windy conditions-been there done that. 6. Always trust your string line. PM me if you have any questions for me. I may be able to save you some headaches.

We installed our aluminum fence 2 years ago and it wasn't that difficult. I bought materials from ifence I think and with 2 helper knocked out 150+ft in a couple afternoons. My only regret is not spacing a little higher off the ground to make trimming easier and so leaves would pile up as much in the fall/winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

We installed our aluminum fence 2 years ago and it wasn't that difficult. I bought materials from ifence I think and with 2 helper knocked out 150+ft in a couple afternoons. My only regret is not spacing a little higher off the ground to make trimming easier and so leaves would pile up as much in the fall/winter.

Did you use the same method described above? if not could you describe how you did your fence please?

I was very satisfied working with them and the fence is a nice product.
3edezegy.jpg

looks awesome! great job! thanks for the inspiration!
How is your project coming along? Are you still looking for tips? If so, I can recommend screwless aluminum fence. It just snaps in into post without any screws.
Also remember that gate posts needs to be thicker (kinda commercial grade). Otherwise you should use aluminum inserts to make standard post stronger.

Do you have any slopes where you plan to rake fence?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.