Cannot decide SAND FILTER or CARTRIDGE filter----HELP

ZOELIU

Jan 28, 2014
Perth Australia
Hi,

After reading as much information as possible, l still cannot decide which filter (sand or cartridge) to buy. Hopefully I can get some help in next few days from any one of you, so I can replace them in next couple weeks as I think the filter may go out soon.

Here is the situation, I have few trees around my pool, including bamboo & pine trees, and they drop leaves constantly, including bark once a year, plus a sandy backyard(trying to establish it, but not enough money to do it at the moment when we need to replace the pool equipment), so we constantly have to vacuum, hence backwash(we have a sand filter at the moment). I don't mind cleaning, but would prefer to reduce the time of maintaining and balancing chemical.

I know the pros and cons of these 2 type of filter(sand & cartridge), and I know it doesn't matter which one i go for as long as l feel confident my choice will reduce my maintenance time. What I don't know is under the circumstances (A)which one is the most suitable in terms of money , efficiency, and less labour intensive ? (B) the size of the filter listed below, are they correct ? (C)If go for cartridge, how often do l have to replace the filter because of the debris, leaves, sand l get(manual said replace every 3 years!?) (D) Bigger is better for filter, but if l go one size smaller(i.e. 325sq ft filtration area) would that still be all right?

SAND filter
Astral C320: 50mm pipe, 0.3 sq m filtration area
Hayward Pro S270: 50mm pipe, 0.34 sq m filtration area(I know S310 is more ideal, not enough room for clearance)
Onga Pentair II P229: 50mm pipe, 0.397 sq m filtration area

Cartridge filter
Astral Viron CL400: 38 sq m(400 sq ft) filtration area
Hayward Swimclear C4025: 39.5 sq m(425sq ft)

The pump will be Hayward MaxFlow SP2300VS. Pool: 60,000 Litre, ~15,850 gallon

Any help appreciated

For your size pool, the recommended sizes would be about 3 sqft sand (24" diameter) or 225 sqft cartridge. So the filters you listed are significantly larger than you likely need.

If your chemistry is maintained, the cartridges can last a lot longer than 3 years.

You have to decide if you want to be backwashing and losing water or just rinsing the cartridges.

Hello,
You don't actually replace the cartridges every time, you rinse them off, washing off the debris with a garden hose. It's pretty easy overall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdq6ADapVHs

Well you know how to clean a sand filter. Nothing to be said there.

Your skimmer should catch the big stuff, leaves and such, then the trap should catch smaller stuff, finally the filter gets all the little nasties.

A sand filter should be enough. When you're vacuuming what about using a leaf canister to catch the bigger stuff prior to it going into trap.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/14544-Leaf-Canisters-Effective

Either way with an unenclosed pool you're still going to get the same amount of stuff into the pool, you've got to get it out. Now if you have a SWCG I'd lean more to getting a cartridge filter, throwing less down the drain when backwashing, but the sand should be fine.

Are you backwashing at an appropriate pressure?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/140-routine-pump-filter-maintenance

Have you tried to rebed/clean the sand?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/7289-My-sand-is-quot-channeled-quot-how-to-fix-it#post58929

Another idea would be a robotic cleaner. Here's the link to mine doing it's job.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...essed-into-1-minute?highlight=robotic+cleaner

Hope I've given some help.
I have a cartridge filter, it's 100ft. During the summer heavy usage months, I clean it every 2 weeks or so. Takes about 15 minutes from power off to power back on. In the winter I go 8 weeks or so.

Woodyp
it's been around 10 years old (I know lots of sand filter last beyond that), we had few leakage along the way, the pump is too powerful for the filter we have, so the sand from filter has been pushed out alot. Rather than fixing it or try to find out what is going on we decide to buy a new bigger one to reduce the backwash (if we still go for sand filter this time) due to the conditions we are in. And we also getting the new pump to save our electricity bill(US$0.22/unit, and is going to go up soon)

Jason
The reason I go for bigger is to reduce the cleaning/backwashing because of the backyard condition (sandy & leafy ) If I can go for smaller size, and still catch the aim I want, what size you would recommend ?

Bobodaclown
Yes, it helps alot, really appreciated. Like Jason said I am oversizing my filter, as your pool is bigger than mine, but your cartridge is 100ft compare to the 400 sq ft I listed. I would like to have a robotic cleaner, but won't be priority at this stage. I think I am more leaning towards cartridge now...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.