Inground Newbie with test results

May 9, 2012
Longwood, FL
Hello all, We recently moved into a house with an in ground pool and I wanted some help with my test results and getting on the right track to crystal clear BBB water. I owned an above ground pool with SWG for the past two years and this site was key in me setting it up, maintaining it and keeping it running smoothly. We have been here for 4 weeks and I have been so busy moving that I have not had time to do much with the pool. Water still looks relatively good, some debris on the bottom, nothing a good vacuum can't take care of. The new equipment is intimidating me so I need a hand in figuring it out if possible. I have watched some you tube videos on vacuuming and other maintenance routines for IG pools.

I just ran my test results and will start by getting the FC level up by adding the recommended amount in the pool calculator. Let me know what else needs to be looked at and the order of importance so I can start working on the rest of the levels.

FC = 0

pH = 7.8 to 8.2

TA = 70

CH = 350

CYA = 40

Will add 207 oz of bleach now and let the pump run for the rest of the night.

Also, what type of maintenance/cleaning routine do I need to do with the Hayward DE 3620, it is brand new as the previous owner put it in about a month before we moved in. I have been reading alot about DE and adding DE, cleaning the filter etc. and I am not sure where to begin.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would get the FC up and lower the pH some. This is not SWG right? So the cya is good too.

Did you find the article in the further reading section of Pool School all about DE filters?

Make sure you do not let the FC drop before the minimum for your CYA or you will be SLAMing. In fact, doing the OCLT would be good to confirm there is nothing in the water.

+ 1 on doing the OCLT. Have you tested for CC ? If your having any problem's at the equipment pad, post a pic and somebody can help ya out.
Good luck with your new pool ! You already have a good grasp of our methods so this new to you IG should be a snap ! ?

+ 1 on doing the OCLT. Have you tested for CC ? If your having any problem's at the equipment pad, post a pic and somebody can help ya out.
Good luck with your new pool ! You already have a good grasp of our methods so this new to you IG should be a snap ! ��

I took the advice given above and ran the OCLT last night. The results were positive as FC changed from 5.5 to 4.5 (10:30pm and 7:00 am) and I had no CCs present either time.

I purchased the 31% muratic acid from the pool store and added 20 oz this morning to try to bring the pH down. Also added 2.5 lbs of baking soda and still need to add about 6 more lbs per the pool calculator. I will get some more and add it when I get home later. What is the best way to add the baking soda to the water? I just dumped it in front of the return but some did settle on the bottom so I brushed it around a bit.

How long should I expect before I see a drop in the pH?

Thanks for the feedback.

I took the advice given above and ran the OCLT last night. The results were positive as FC changed from 5.5 to 4.5 (10:30pm and 7:00 am) and I had no CCs present either time.

I purchased the 31% muratic acid from the pool store and added 20 oz this morning to try to bring the pH down. Also added 2.5 lbs of baking soda and still need to add about 6 more lbs per the pool calculator. I will get some more and add it when I get home later. What is the best way to add the baking soda to the water? I just dumped it in front of the return but some did settle on the bottom so I brushed it around a bit.

How long should I expect before I see a drop in the pH?

Thanks for the feedback.
pH drop should happen fairly fast. I'd guess that if you added the acid and then went around the whole pool with the brush, by the time you were done the acid would have mixed 100% and the pH will have changed. You're not testing pH at SLAM level, are you? Because if FC is over 10, pH will read artificially high.

TA is nothing to worry about yet. 70 is fine. Don't add any more baking soda just yet. TA is what you play with when you're bored and everything is else is set.

You lost 1.0 FC overnight, right on the cusp of failing the OCLT; how does the water look? Sparkling, clear, hazy, cloudy, milky, green? How about posting some updated test results?

Losing 1ppm of FC when you started so low is not good on my opinion. That recommendation is based on the assumption you are doing the OCLT at SLAM level. Starting that low, I don't think you should have lost more than 0.5ppm of FC.

Correct, I am not at SLAM level, when I tested last night pH was between 7.8 and 8.2 (btw, is there any other way to test pH besides the basic OTO test kit i.e. red drops), not sure I trust my eyes sometimes on the comparison charts :confused:

I will hold off on the TA as you suggested. The water is clear, not sparkling (yet) but clear, definitely not milky, cloudy or green.

I will run a full battery of tests tonight and post results.

That is how you test pH accurately. Don't worry too much about it being exact. The main thing is when you look at the test results, make sure you have a white background. For example, use the top of your skimmer basket lid as the background (if it is white) and not the sky. Also, when you get up in that 8.0+ range, you know you are high and need to start bringing pH down, regardless of the accurate number. Add half the calculated MA to the pool, wait an hour with the pump running, then test again to see where you are at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Losing 1ppm of FC when you started so low is not good on my opinion. That recommendation is based on the assumption you are doing the OCLT at SLAM level. Starting that low, I don't think you should have lost more than 0.5ppm of FC.

OK, I can another OCLT tonight and see how that goes to make sure I did not goof up the test somehow. Should I bring up my FC before I do the test? or should I first do another full series of test and post results as Richard suggested to see where the numbers are at before running the OCLT again?

Here is the follow up to the conversation we had going yesterday:

Test Results @ 10:15pm

FC = 3.5

CC = 0

pH = 7.5 to 7.8

TA = 100

CH = 310

CYA = 40

Richard suggested getting FC up to 10 and then running the OCLT---> added 288 oz of bleach at 10:40pm and let pump run---> @12:30am FC = 10.5 ppm and CC =0 ---> @ 7:30 a.m. FC = 10.5 ppm and CC=0

Feedback and thoughts are highly anticipated and appreciated.

Here is the follow up to the conversation we had going yesterday:

Test Results @ 10:15pm

FC = 3.5

CC = 0

pH = 7.5 to 7.8

TA = 100

CH = 310

CYA = 40

Richard suggested getting FC up to 10 and then running the OCLT---> added 288 oz of bleach at 10:40pm and let pump run---> @12:30am FC = 10.5 ppm and CC =0 ---> @ 7:30 a.m. FC = 10.5 ppm and CC=0

Feedback and thoughts are highly anticipated and appreciated.
I see the OCLT passed. The CCs passed. Is the water clear? If so, then I'd assume it's sparkling by now and the water balance looks good so all you need is some warmth to go swimming. If it's not sparkling clear... then the SLAM process needs to continue. The process includes removing any debris and brushing the walls. ;)

I am having some debris issues as the oak trees have just about finished dropping leaves and the new leaves are forming (lots of pollen and other debris). The pool is in a screen enclosure so it is not to bad, but still finding a lot of oak tree particle gunk along the tiles at the waterline. I think after a good vacuum and skim it should be "sparkling", will keep at it and let you guys know if I have any issues. If I get a good sunny day I'll try to post a picture.

I am in the process of looking at automatic cleaners but that seems to be a great topic of debate on these forums from what I have read so far but that is a topic for another forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.