Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

Mark R

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2013
Desert Southwest, USA
I completely emptied my water about 7-8 weeks ago. I bought some stabilizer from Walmart, and followed the directions, used a sock in my skimmer.

I put in about 90% of the 4lb container. As you can see it should have brought up the CYA to under 50ppm.

City tap water was used, I don't think it has any CYA from the tap ? But when I do the test I shows almost 100ppm. I followed the test directions and did it twice. I'm I not doing it right ? I know this is one of the most subjective tests with my test kit .

My back to the sun, holding the plastic tube waist high and filling it up. I even Watched you tube videos on it and read the forum many times on this test.

Please help, this is exactly what I wanted to avoid when doing this.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the results that should've happened from the directions :

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Water temp is about 60-65

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 245
Are you reading the view tube correctly. If it was 100 then you put very little of the sample in the tube and the dot would have been gone. How long has it been since you added the stabilizer ? What are you using for chlorine ? Did you use any dichlor, pucks ?

Might have just read it wrong, I hope. Your using the right amount of pool water, bottom of the label and the reagent,R-0013 to the top of the label and mixing. Then letting sit for 30 seconds and then shaking once more.
Maybe somebody else has some thoughts.

Hold the tube at its very top using just your thumb and middle finger. Hold you pinky out like your attending a reception for royalty. That way your not blocking any light from illuminating the tube. Let the surface of the sample get still before you judge whether you can see the black dot. There should be absolutely no visibility to the dot. If your thinking you can faintly see the outline of the dot, then add some more solution until there's no doubt the dot is 100% invisible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Might have just read it wrong, I hope. Your using the right amount of pool water, bottom of the label and the reagent,R-0013 to the top of the label and mixing. Then letting sit for 30 seconds and then shaking once more.
Maybe somebody else has some thoughts.

This was exactly the method I did. Like I said, I'll recheck a new sample at room temp and post results later today. Actually I'll post a full set if results.
Thank you and the forum had been a great help so far. :)
I'm sure I messed up something, this can't be possible. No pucks since the refill.

Water is crystal clear :p

About time to crank up the solar system in the next week too. I'm sure that will deplete bleach quickly.

How are your other results coming? If you add 2FC's worth of chlorine do you see a 2FC increase? Could your pool be smaller than 12k gallons??

Odds still point to test error at this point, so have little worry until you can retest.

The only thing you added since the refill is bleach and the 4lbs of the stabilizer. Nothing else ? ?

Trick question ?

About a gallon of Mauriac Acid every 10 days or so :rolleyes: 1/4 gallon every 3 days or so

- - - Updated - - -

How are your other results coming? If you add 2FC's worth of chlorine do you see a 2FC increase? Could your pool be smaller than 12k gallons??

Odds still point to test error at this point, so have little worry until you can retest.

I was thinking the same thing on the size of the pool too, can't be less then 10k gallons though

I'll be anxious to see what the next results are. I think Jeff was just trying to see if you had added any other Chlorine sources that might have Cya. I saw where you said you'd been using Bleach, so he was just double checking. I'm with Leebo, test error or smaller volume. The latter seems less likely, but let us know what you find out.

Ok, here it is:
FC 2.5
CC 0
TA 90
CH 625
CYA 95

Water temp was about 75

I need more bleach right ? I'll call the pool builder and see if they have a record of how many gallons my pool holds. I thought I figured it out right, maybe I miss calculated. Even if it's 2k gallons less it shouldn't be that high according to the label on the stabilizer container numbers above in the picture.

With this much CYA the FC should be 9 ? I can't get the forum calculator up and running.

Thanks

If you use 90 the target FC would be 10. If you round up to 100 target FC would be 12. Your min for both levels is 7. A tick or two higher than the target would be fine. What's your PH ? CH is a bit high. Watch your PH level. ?

If you use 90 the target FC would be 10. If you round up to 100 target FC would be 12. Your min for both levels is 7. A tick or two higher than the target would be fine. What's your PH ? CH is a bit high. Watch your PH level. ��

That CH is pretty normal around here, very hard water. I can't do to much about that I don't think. I already drained it about 2 months ago due to CYA of around 170 and CH of 900. I hope with the summer evaporation I can lower the CH over time with out another drain next year.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.