Screwed up cantilever is there anything I can do?

Canar

Mar 21, 2014
Illinois
Its been in for a few years now and it is driving me nuts. my pool is in ground fiberglass. My pool guy had cement poured and had some templates he used that the cement filled as they poured it. he used some kind of wand that I am guessing was to make sure the concrete filled where it was supposed to go. In the end it didn't fill perfectly. There are what looks like chips and missing pieces where the cantilever meets the pool edge. I complained and he used cement to patch the areas it was messed up. Well within a couple years all that fell off. Is there a way to cut that away and maybe use brick or something at the edge of the pool to replace the bad edges? Maybe cut the concrete and replace it? Thoughts?

Ted

Hi, welcome to TFP! Could you post a few pictures of the problem areas? That will help us to better help you. You can attach pictures from your computer directly into the post or you may use a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com and post the links to your photo.

That wand thing was a flexible concrete vibrator and is used to vibrate the concrete in tight or tucked in areas such as the cantilever forms. Cantlever concrete that is accepable is hard to do. Its more of an art than anything and takes a lot of experience to get it right. The trick is in the detals of forming and the timing of when to remove the forms and finish the edges. It just about has to be perfect timing to get it right. Concrete folks in my my part of the world will not even offer a concrete cantilever. They admit they are in too much of a hurry and too lazy to take the extra steps to get it right. In essence, they just dont give a ...you know what!

From your description, sounds like they didnt vibrate enough which is why the holes were there, and then they took the forms off too late and probably some pieces of the form were stuck in the concrete and that also left some more holes, and the concrete edge by then was too hard to properly finish, thus the patch work. I hate to hear things like this because I am just a stickler for doing things right and having the right people with the right additude and the right tools and equipment to do it the way its supposed to be done.

The concrete can be replaced all around. A concrete saw is used to saw through the deck and above the tile line, and then the concrete is chipped out to the bond beam and replaced with coping. YouTube has several videos of exactly that being done. Not an easy job, but it is done all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.