A Possible Mistake in Adding Calcium

Jul 13, 2011
Austin, TX
I am just finishing up my pool preparing for the season, and my last step was to raise the calcium level (I just did a drain and refill).

The instructions say not to premix in water, and to cast over pool. I have a dark bottom pool and now there are white/light spots where the calcium carbonate landed. I quickly hit it with the brush, but it did nothing. There was even some that landed on the main returns on the bottom, and they have a white ring on them.

Will this go away? Or did I just permanently etch/stain the pool bottom??

FC=3
CC=0
pH=7.5
TA=110
CA=40
CH=175 (moving it up to 250)

When the water is cold, calcium chloride can stick to vinyl, plaster or fiberglass. It can also form hard clumps.

I don't know why this happens much more when the water is cold. I premix and pour to prevent this.

Premixing can be a problem due to the heat generated by the dissolving calcium chloride. However, as long as you're careful to use plenty of water and mix well, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't want to premix, then it's best to have the brush ready to go as soon as the calcium chloride hits the floor.

For your current situation, keep brushing to help speed the dissolution of the calcium chloride.

You are correct. Calcium chloride.

I checked this morning and the marking/etching is still visible. Some of it is dissipating. I'll just keep brushing and hope that it dissolves over time... It's mostly frustrating because I just drained it to clean it and it looked awesome!

BTW - Turned off SWG and going BBB (bleach). So far, so good. SWG in combination with the heat here in Austin, TX and water creates high pH, which in turn caused calcium buildup / stain. I'm actually adding about the same amount of bleach as I was acid, and it's 1/5 the cost. I can always add the salt and turn it back on, but it's hard to pull the salt out!

If you balance your levels correctly you can run a SWG with minimal acid additions. You will most likely still need a little acid, but it shouldn't be anything like the volume of bleach the pool requires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.