My most recent set of test results from today using my TFT100 kit

pH-8.2
FC-6
CC-0
TC-6
CH-500ppm
TA-90
CYA-60

I have been trying to be so careful with our brand new pool. Why is my CH so high, and what can I do about it. Should I be worried about the TA level. Also, the CYA seems to have gone up a little in the last couple of weeks too, and we are using liquid chlorine and adding about a gallon of 14.5%muriatic acid to keep the pH down around 7.4-7.8 every two days or so--it is due for some more today....

What am I missing? I am so afraid I am messing something up here! Thank you!!

Lissyloo

How high is the CH in your fill water? In some parts of the Southwest it can approach your levels out of the tap, and due to evaporation will just build up from there.

Ike

p.s. can be lowered by water replacement with lower CH water, or Reverse Osmosis treatment, available in select areas

What Jeff said.

500 is not really that high. Some members are approaching 1000+ and have tap water around 700ppm.
Keep the pH in the mid 7s and you will be fine ... clearly you need to be checking the pH and adjusting more often. Never let it go above 7.8

The CYA test is very subjective. If you got 50 ne time and 60 the next and you haven't added any, it's testing error. I find the results vary tremendously based on the light. Even holding the view tube with 4 fingers instead of just one can affect it. That's why I always take multiple readings off the same sample.

500 is not really that high for CH, especially if you gotthat number by swirling. My CH dropped a couple hundred points just by switching to the speedstir. Plug in the test results and look at CSI. Keep it close to zero and things will be fine. You'll need to keep TA and pH at the low end of the scale, but it's not that big a deal.

A 500 CH isn't good, but it is very manageable. Since you have it, it is imperative that you keep a close eye on, and good control of pH. Target mid to lower 7's. As in 7.3-7.5, and you will minimize potential scaling problems.

Do try to find somewhere that carries 31.45% Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid and it will take less. It will likely be more cost effective as well. If you are not using a speedstir, you can obtain equal accuracy just fine. They are fantastic to have, and I wouldn't want to be without mine, but you do not have to have one to get perfect measurements. Just mix thoroughly and take time between the last drops to finish. Always make sure you get a complete color change before you stop, and you will get a solid dependable result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.