Inground Pool Backwash hose

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
Last summer, I went through three backwash hoses, two of which burst open the first time I used them. I am looking for something much more sturdy this year - not what is readily available in your local pool stores. Anyone have any suggestions? I have been searching the web, but they all appear to be the same stuff.

They should only burst if you do not have them laid out straight before you turn on the pump. Or if you have introduced kinks into them. And likely a good idea to store out of the sun.

There have been previous discussions about fire hoses ... not sure what is required to attach them.

Fire hoses typically have NH/NST threaded fittings in the U.S. although there are other types so look for NH or NST listings (they are interchangable), you typically need an NH or NST to NPT adapter , these are available in polycarbonate or brass for as little as about $10 on ebay. 1.5 inch fire hose is very common (most building hose cabinets use these), and often available in 50 - 100 ft lengths "used" on ebay, these used hoses often spent their whole life never being used in a cabinet and were replaced due to age, by fire code these must be replaced or recertified after a certain age (I think 20 years), so they tend to sell cheap on sites like ebay. Often asking prices / auctions will vary considerably, but you should be able to get one under $50.

Ike

Thanks, Isaac-1 - I appreciate the info, but it is greek to me. Don't understand your fitting comment, as I know nothing about fire hoses and fittings. The piece on my sand filter that I attach my discharge hose to is not threaded. I am willing to explore this avenue if I really knew what I was looking at. I have checked ebay and found the hoses but have no idea if they would work for me. I don't understand what size I would need as far as fitting onto the sand filter, etc. I would be most appreciative if you could give me more specific information so that I can pursue this avenue.

If you can take a photo and post it of your discharge fitting we can help tell you what you need. You may have a 1.5 inch NPT to screw in hose barb fitting already screwed into your backwash fitting, or it may be a glued in slip fitting to hose barb.

I have yet to do this, but I believe you can cut the end if the fire hose off (not easy, but not impossible with the right tool), then just use the clamp that probably is already attaching your discharge hose. When my current cheap discharge hose blows, that is my plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Firehose ! You people are brilliant ! Haha! I just bought 100 footer on Ebay and also one of those red round with spokes fire hose reels to roll it up on. All for less than 100 dollars.
I'm stoked! Life is good today!

Thank you!

Fire hoses typically have NH/NST threaded fittings in the U.S. although there are other types so look for NH or NST listings (they are interchangable), you typically need an NH or NST to NPT adapter , these are available in polycarbonate or brass for as little as about $10 on ebay. 1.5 inch fire hose is very common (most building hose cabinets use these), and often available in 50 - 100 ft lengths "used" on ebay, these used hoses often spent their whole life never being used in a cabinet and were replaced due to age, by fire code these must be replaced or recertified after a certain age (I think 20 years), so they tend to sell cheap on sites like ebay. Often asking prices / auctions will vary considerably, but you should be able to get one under $50.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are some really poor quality backwash hoses out there. Quaker Plastics makes a good hose: http://cardinalsystemsinc.com/product-category/concrete-products/discharge-hose/

Any idea where I can buy this?

I've searched and can't find them for sale.

Back 10 years or so ago, I didn't have to worry about kinks or unfolding and making sure everything was perfectly laid out. You just hit the button and the house jumped out. Now, they are so thin that they split even when they are brand new. I just through one away today that has only been used once because it split. Also because they were thicker in the past, they didn't kink up and twist near as much.

I thought you guys were joking about the Fire Hoses but see by the end of the thread you were serious!

The firehose works GREAT! No kidding! I just cut teh fitting off the end and use a couple radiator clamps to clamp it to the PVC pipe. It leaks a little around the clamp, but so what?
It will last for YEARS. One of the best ideas ever.

Back 10 years or so ago, I didn't have to worry about kinks or unfolding and making sure everything was perfectly laid out. You just hit the button and the house jumped out. Now, they are so thin that they split even when they are brand new. I just through one away today that has only been used once because it split. Also because they were thicker in the past, they didn't kink up and twist near as much.

I thought you guys were joking about the Fire Hoses but see by the end of the thread you were serious!

I've found the Quaker stuff on a few sites:
Hoses - Pool Maintenance Cleaning - In-Ground Pools/Spas - Pool Plaza
https://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-524-backwash-hose-flexible.aspx

Reactions: Eskrimador
I've recently made one out of shop vac hose. I epoxied a 2" PVC fitting to one end, and it works great, and was cheap. But they don't come very long.

Sounds like fun ;)

I've got a 100+foot run to get from pump to somewhere I can turn into a swamp, and last year I had 3 different hoses fail in multiple spots (that I got at my local chain). All garbage. I created a frankenstein hose with the remnants and some couplers and that started sprouting tiny holes. One of the tiny holes sprayed yellow water 10+ feet to my wife's car, she wasn't pleased :)

The hose that came with my house was awesome (likely from the original pool install in the 80s), I am an idiot for throwing it away because it was "old". It was some kind of braided fabric, and it weighed a ton, I would totally buy more of it if I could.

We live on a steep hill. The pool is a story above the street. The yard behind the pool is another 10ft higher. Point is backwashing means 100% of the water ends up in the street if I put a hose on the grass anywhere in my yard where it doesn't run back into the pool.

With that I hard plumbed it into a PVC line that runs behind a retaining wall and straight into the street. Hard plumbing was great. There's nothing to attach and it's fixed. If this is a possibility I'd go this route. You could even dig a dry well with gravel and pump into that. If you aren't backwashing too often it will drain without an issue.

We live on a steep hill. The pool is a story above the street. The yard behind the pool is another 10ft higher. Point is backwashing means 100% of the water ends up in the street if I put a hose on the grass anywhere in my yard where it doesn't run back into the pool.

With that I hard plumbed it into a PVC line that runs behind a retaining wall and straight into the street. Hard plumbing was great. There's nothing to attach and it's fixed. If this is a possibility I'd go this route. You could even dig a dry well with gravel and pump into that. If you aren't backwashing too often it will drain without an issue.

Awesome. Dumping pool backwash (or even pool water) into the street/storm sewer here (NY) is illegal. The day I moved into my new house the nice lady next door told me that if I did this, the guy across the street is a snitch and would call the town :). It's been a huge PITA. I'd love to dig a drywell to take all of the pain away.

What I did last year was plumbed a giant 'T' from 1.5inch PVC and drilled 20 or so weep holes into it. I connected it to my multiport valve via a long flexible backwash hose, and laid it in my front lawn, it helped keep it watered. This year I am going to modify it to allow me to take it apart, because it's a pain to fit in the garage. Also thinking about a new version with smaller holes, so the water goes higher like a real sprinkler system.

20160609_091406.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.