Spring Startup Question

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Im going to fire up my pool this weekend. Since the water is only mid 40's I am going to obviously use bleach for a while. So, if my CYA is 80 the target FC is 6-9. However, once SWCG is active with a CYA of 80 the FC range is 4-6.

1. Do I just let FC slowly drop prior to starting SWCG? I fear I may let it go too far inadvertently. Perhaps I leave the level as-is and then when the SWCG takes over I slowly adjust.

2. This one baffles me, but why would SWCG need less FC than manual? If chlorine is chlorine, why would it make a difference?

1. Yes just let it drift down a little. Or start the SWG at the higher levels and adjust it until you are in range

2. The recommended FC levels for SWG are a absolute minimum for a couple reasons. 1. There is not a human in the loop to forget to add chlorine for a day or two so there is wiggle room in the non-SWG numbers. And 2. within the SWG cell itself is like a super-chlorination chamber so that does a better job at killing stuff as water passes through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.