Am I done shocking?

Mar 22, 2008
Okay after 5 days of shocking yesterday I brought the level up to 30ppm to try to get this issue resolved. I had been maintaining it most of the day then at about 6:00 I raised it to 30ppm again. It held. I check it at midnight and it was 29ppm with 0 CC.

I woke up this morning and checked it at 9:00 and it was 20ppm, so a loss of 9ppm, BUT the pool already has gotten 3 hours of sunlight.

FC 20
CC .5
CYA 50
ph 7.2

1) When Chlorine levels are higher does the sun eat it away faster? Basically can I assume that the 9ppm loss overnight was just from the 3 hours of direct sun this morning?

2) Am I done shocking?
Pool is clear and has been since I started
CC is .5 or less
Chlorine held for at least 6 hours at night, maybe more.

I suppose it's possible but a 9ppm loss in 3 hours seems like a lot to me. The only way to know for sure is check your levels after dark and then again just at sunrise or right before. More than a 1ppm loss and there is a likely issue. You have a decent CYA level so I just would be real surprised at a 9ppm loss in 3 hours. Just my .02.....

See If feel the same way, but Dang it has been like 6 days of shocking now. I have gone through bottles of the FAS/DPD titrating solutions and of course TONS of bleach.

I just tested again and another 5ppm gone in the last 3 hours.

I will bring back up but I really need someone to tell me for sure if your chlorine loss is a lot higher with high amounts of chlorine. For the last 2 days the chlorine loss after dark has been extremely minimal. But I don't wake up before the suns comes up to test fully overnight readings

I check it at midnight and it was 29ppm with 0 CC.

I woke up this morning and checked it at 9:00 and it was 20ppm, so a loss of 9ppm,

You have organics in your pool. The loss of chlorine you have experienced can not be attributed to the sun.

Check out this post by klavant......

Even after reading the same advice and subsequent success for others, I could not get my brain to accept the number of gallons of bleach that I'd be using, if I were to do it right. I can't stress enough for those who are new here, like me, that if you're not going to follow the advice to the T, don't even start. I wasted time thinking that XX gallons of bleach were enough, even though the shock numbers weren't as high as they needed to be. I had to get to the point of performing an all-out assault on the CC with gallon after gallon of bleach without stopping to rest. When I finally did, the pool cleared, frustration gone.

While his issue was marginally different than yours, the solution is the same.....you need more chlorine.

The process is complete when:
A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

30ppm is what is keeping me from swimming.

I am soooooo frustrated with this situation.

I just don't understand why when I was shocking at 16ppm I was losing a whole lot less chlorine that when I am shocking at 30ppm. I brought it up to 30 yesterday and going through 10 gallons a day right now, versus only like 2-3 when I was shocking at 16ppm. So my chlorine consumption is going up drastically to higher I riase the chlorine.

It is 112 degrees today too.

No, you don't want the PH below 7.2. Have you been measuring the PH as 7.2 while the FC level was 20+? The PH test isn't reliable when FC is above 15 and tends to read higher than the PH really is. If you have been testing with the FC level high, your actual PH might be very low, which could be a problem. On the other hand if you have been testing PH when FC was 15 or lower then leave the PH where it is.

FC loss due to sunlight goes as a percentage of the current FC level. Higher FC levels mean more FC lost to sunlight. Based on your recent posts, your FC loss was way too high to be only from sunlight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
112 degrees??? You dont' possibly live in Phoenix do you??

A few weeks ago, CC=4, FC=1, CYA=90 in my pool (8K gallon, cement liner) so I began shocking with bleach.

I kept adding bleach until FC=20 at night and held it at 20 for 3 straight nights. The final morning of testing revealed FC=16 which would mean a loss of 4 ppm, but as you stated, the sun had already been up for 2-3 hrs.

I stopped shocking the pool and now, 2 weeks later I maintain FC=4-6 and CC=0. I have NOT been able to detect ANY CC since then.

So...to make a long story short, here in PHX, the sun means business and is *likely* the culprit of the loss of 3-4 ppm in a matter of hours, even with high CYA.

edit: forgot to add, we swam the entire time when FC=20. Just wear a bathing suit that you don't mind dis-coloring!!!

pecker88 said:
112 degrees??? You dont' possibly live in Phoenix do you??

A few weeks ago, CC=4, FC=1, CYA=90 in my pool (8K gallon, cement liner) so I began shocking with bleach.

I kept adding bleach until FC=20 at night and held it at 20 for 3 straight nights. The final morning of testing revealed FC=16 which would mean a loss of 4 ppm, but as you stated, the sun had already been up for 2-3 hrs.

I stopped shocking the pool and now, 2 weeks later I maintain FC=4-6 and CC=0. I have NOT been able to detect ANY CC since then.

So...to make a long story short, here in PHX, the sun means business and is *likely* the culprit of the loss of 3-4 ppm in a matter of hours, even with high CYA.

edit: forgot to add, we swam the entire time when FC=20. Just wear a bathing suit that you don't mind dis-coloring!!!

So what is your normal daily chlorine loss? You keep it at 6ppm and it goes down to 4 by the end of the day?

nitz369 said:
I wonder if in a matter of 2 weeks of extreme heat and evaporation my CYA is down again. My pool is an autio-filll so it is hard to tell how much evaporation does.
I think this is a VERY good possiblilty!!!!! However, it won't be evaporation but a possible leak. Turn off the autofill and do a bucket test. Evaporation has no effect on CYA levels. A leak could help explain the drop in chlorine.

That hot, I guess it's a possibility that the chlorine could go down that much in 3 hours of sunlight, particularly since the loss of chlorine in PPM goes up when the amount of chlorine in PPM is higher in the pool.

I'm a 'Zonie myself - Tucson area.

Does heat, as well as sunlight, cause chlorine loss? I'm wondering because it's warm at night too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.