Pump leaking at the discharge outlet

May 11, 2012
Houston, TX
Howdy all.

Firstly, thank you for all the helpful information you provide. I have learned alot on this forum from trying to troubleshoot a few problems since I have joined.

To the matter at hand - My pump is leaking at the outlet where the vertical grey pipe threads into it (red arrow). I have read numerous threads here, and am about to tackle the problem this weekend. I bought the PVC pipe and connectors, including a union. I plan to cut the horizontal pipe section (blue arrow) and place the union there, and replace the threaded grey piece alongwith the elbow on that side. I bought Oatey Great White, teflon tape, and medium cement rated for pools and spas.

pumpsmall.jpg

My questions:

Do I use both the Great White and the teflon tape together? If yes, which goes on first?

I read about wrapping the tape several times around the threaded portion, and a few more times around the hex part to form a gasket/washer of sorts. If I'm holding the threaded connector horizontal, with the threaded portion facing to my right, do I wind it on front to back or from back to front?

Should I put an o-ring on the threaded part, between the threaded part and the hex part?

Does the male part of the union go on the filter side or the pump side, or does it not matter?

Any tips on putting the union in? Should I separate the two pieces and then fit them on or keep them almost tight to maintain alignment and then hand tighten after the cement dries?

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Do not use both the tape and sealant. It seems most people suggest only using a teflon paste on these larger fittings and be sure it is ok with PVC / ABS. Hand tight plus a little.

I would suggest you try to put the union directly above the pump. That way if it leaks again, you just have to open the union and re-screw the part into the pump. If you put the union at the blue arrow, then you can not slightly tighten the pipe into the pump because the union will no longer align.

No o-ring, the pipe with the dope should seal itself.

jblizzle - I considered adding the union directly above the pump, but there isn't enough space (barely 2" of grey pipe). The Oatey Great White has PTFE, I assume that is teflon paste? It says it is rated for all metals and plastics.

I edited my first post to add the question about how to place the union - does it matter which side the male part goes on to?

Well, I guess I was trying to keep it as simple as possible, but I see what you are saying about it being much easier to redo the pump connection if I need to in the future. I'll check it out in the daylight tomorrow and see what it would take to add the union in line with the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.