Adjust TA, PH, or FC first?

Oct 15, 2013
Hello everyone. I am very new at this so please forgive me if this has already been answered in the past. I have a 12000 gallon dark bottom plaster pool with an attached 1000 gallon hot tub that has a water fall feature into the pool. So 13000 gallons all together. Here is my latest water reading with my target next to it:

FC
2.5 (target 6)

PH
7.8 (target 7.2)

TA
80 (target 100)

CYA
27 (target 40)

In what order should I raise or lower my levels? I am using Chlorine (10%), Muratic Acid (14.5%) & Baking Soda.

Thanks for your help and for sharing your wisdom!!

-DD

First, the TA is great, leave it alone.

For the FC and pH, I would do the FC first and then fix the pH (but no reason to lower to 7.2, I would go for 7.4 at the lowest). But you only need to wait about 30 minutes between chemical additions (ssshhhh ... don't tell anyone, but I have been known to not wait nearly that long). You just do not want the bleach and acid to mix directly. You should slowly pour them in front of a return jet in the deep end and running a brush over the bottom afterward is good insurance that nothing settled to the bottom.

The CYA can be put in a sock and hung in the pool in front of a return jet or put in the skimmer.

Perfect, thanks so much! I might add, the reason for taking my PH down to 7.2 is because it appears I did a big "no-no" a few months back. I bought a pool cover and left it on my pool for about 2 months with no chemicals being added to the pool. I ended up with a real bad case of crystal like scaling all over my pool. (I'll NEVER do that again!!). Anyway, I was told if I keep my PH at 7.2 and keep sweeping the pool, and if I keep all other levels in check, the crystals will go away in time. I have noticed the crystals have greatly reduced over the past few weeks. Thoughts?

What is your CH level?
For that matter how did you get the test results?

This is advanced, but to get rid of the scaling, you need to maintain a negative CSI which is a function of everything (except chlorine really) ... it is calculated by PoolMath.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.