Quick technical question - Sand Filter capacity

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
:confused:

Hello everyone,

I want to install a sand filter in a pool that is 18,500 US Gal. or 70,000 liters.

I was trying to find the specs (with easy numbers) on the Hayward S244T sand filter effective filtration area
or filtration capability to check if this model would be more than enough to clean the pool in 5 hours aprox.

But I got the manual and says "effective filtration area = 0.29 sq. meters or 3.1 sq. ft, so I am having trouble converting
that into liquid.

Just really need to know how many gallons or liters per cycle or so this filter can handle so we know if we are buying the correct size or not.

Thanks for any help!

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProSeries-S180T-S210T-S220T-S244T.pdf

Based on our typical recommendations, the minimum for a 18,500 gallons pool would be 3.4 sqft or 25" diameter. The 24" filter is pretty close and would likely be fine, just require more frequent cleanings than a larger filter.

Inferring from your words ... turn over rate is pretty meaningless. You are generally better off running a pump on a low speed for a longer time and thus savings yourself money on electricity (which is likely part of why John asked what he did). See this article for more info about figuring out pump run time: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

Additionally, if your pump is just too big, it can reduce the filtration effectiveness and require a larger filter.

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your great replies.

The pump is a Hayward 2.0 HP, 220 volts

The pool is located in a condominium compound with 25 units. Not all the people are there full time year long but in Easter or so, we do get a bunch of people in the pool, and we need to adjust the current DE filter to run at least 8 hours to keep it clean. We want to exchange it as it is more expensive to maintain and replace the inner "ribs" every now and then than a sand filter, so that is the reason why we are trying to find out which would be the recommended size for this specific case.

The 300T? the 224T?

I gues that is 30" diamater vs. 24.4"?

Thanks a lot!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.