Pump problem

Mar 12, 2010
Fayetteville, GA
Hello All,
At the end of last season, my main pump (Pentair Superflo 1 speed 2HP) started to make a "clack clack" noise. My pool service guy told me that the motor needed to be changed at a cost of $350. The pump is only 3 seasons old (he's the one who installed it) and, although it runs 24/7 from May to October, I was expecting more life out of it. I can find the exact same pump on Amazon for $340 shipped, so I may as well get a brand new unit and sell the old one for a few bucks.
But do you guys think changing the whole motor or pump is overkill considering the pump still runs and does the job and a DIY rebuilt for much less is possible? I kn ow manufacturers and pool service companies tend to change instead of fixing ($$$). I see motor parts for this pump for sell, so could I just replace like the impeller or/and the diffuser and a few seals and be good to go for under $100. I know it might not be easy to diagnose the problem with just the "clack clack" sound, but I give it a try.
Thanks for the inputs.

-Stephan

Can you post a recording? I would try to investigate what's making the noise. If it's something loose, or if it's bearings going bad, replacing certainly seems like overkill.

Also, is there any reason why you're running it 24/7?

I have some additional work scheduled later this week, but should have the filtration system running Friday night, so I'll post a video with sound at that time.
For the 24/7, this is what I was told. I used to run it 8-10 hours a day, but the water was never sparkly clear. The pool temp is between 85-90 degrees in the summer. Is 24 hours a day too much?

Yes. Most people here run their pumps 8-10 hours. Less during the winter if they stay open all year. With a 2 speed or variable speed pump, it may run most of the day, but at a minimum RPM setting. I think I was right at 9 hours per day last summer.

Let's help you get your pump running first, and we'll tackle the sparkly water next.

Sounds to me as motor bearings. Bearings can develop microscopic cracks from voltage leak or from moisture etc

Also could be something in the impeller but sure sounds like bearings.

No need to replace pump or strainer basket if isnt necessary, pool shops will try to convince you to replace the entire things.

Seperate the pump from the motor and tug on the motor shaft, if there is play the motor is most likely shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.