LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We purchased a 30' x 54" deep round above ground pool. Now I'm working on designing the deck before I go to the county office and apply for pool and deck permit. I have to give them all decks plans before I can start anything this includes footing locations.
My question is how should I place footings next to the pool? I would like to run the headers parallel with pool sections and place the footings next to each upright. Is this is a good solution? If Yes how many uprights a 30' diameter pool have?
Can anyone here help me with the plans?
Thank You

I had foam from Home Depot under my previous pool and this one has the Gorilla Pad. I definitely prefer foam and will use it in the future. Lots of conversation on the forum about using it. I do not have a deck so can't help you there. Good luck!

When I have a second look at the gorilla pad it looks like it is very thin. So basically the ground will have to be perfectly flat. I think I will just use the sand.

I used home depot designer before. The thing is it adds a lot of things that I will not use. I will give it a try and see how it is. The problem is I don't know how many sections my pool gonna have. I would like to run the headers parallel to each section.

I would go to the local govt website and see if they have the pool and deck codes online or just go to the building department and ask. The codes will specify the way you need to build like how big and deep for the footings, the spans you can do depending on lumber size, railing heights, stairs, etc.
I found that the deck programs were not much help for a pool deck. The footing and frame design was more complex than what the programs were capable of. Maybe a higher cost software would work, but I just did my deck design on graph paper. Built headers and then framed on top and cantilevered over to the pool. This way, there were less footers needed overall.
How big of a deck are you planning on?
A few pic to show the framing on my pool deck.
IMG_20130601_203922.jpg

IMG_20130606_094428.jpg

IMG_20130606_094434.jpg

Completed , but not stained yet.

IMG_20131107_153619.jpg

I do not want to do a big deck. 16'x12' that is all my wife need to put her chairs down and tan :) . I have to dig 42" below grade and the holes have to be 10" in diameter. That is a nice deck you have there. Right now I'm drawing everything in Inventor 3D. This is so far what I got:
Pool Deck.jpg
I use 2X8 all over and 24" OC

Here is a shot of the deck I built for mine.

Both sections are identical "pie" shaped pieces and just sit on top of the beams. I never got around to attaching them. The posts(6) are centered on the imaginary "spokes of the wheel" with the beams bolted to them.

We won't get into the numerous code violations I have :rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a good idea. Little bit unsafe if you have kids around :D

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add before that the deck will be attached to existing deck by our house. So we won't bring grass or sand into the pool. We can just walk straight from inside the house into the pool :)

If you can put your design down as 2D and mark how far apart your posts are, that should be good enough for the code people to get the permit. Mark the sizes of the lumber too.
After you layout and dig the holes, the inspector will want to see them before you put the concrete in. The holes should be clean with no water in them.
42" is pretty deep, we only had to go 12" here in NC. :eek:

I live in Frankfort IL and we have to go 42" in Will County. What size of lumber did you guys use? I design everything out of 2x8. Do you think this should be fine?

Pool Deck-1.jpgThanks for the chart. I decided to go with 2X10 all around. Here is what I have so far. How would you recommend to do the framing next to the pool? Should I put more posts in there?
Quality of the photo sucks but maybe you will be able to see something ;)

I'm not following that drawing. Are you doing headers with joists on top?
If not, you would need to add more posts alongside the pool I would think.
Also, doesn't look like you need 4 posts on the long end. With 2x10's , x 2, your support joists or header can span over 7'.
You probably will also need lateral support, which is just Cris-crosses on the posts on 2 sides with 4x4 or 2x6.

I exchange couple emails with my building department and this is what I have come with:
Deck Plan.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also did anyone of you install main drain/center drain in your pool? Is it hard to do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.