Pump died, newb in distress!

Mar 11, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Hey all,

So our pool pump motor just died and I decided to take the cash from the insurance instead of a straight-up replacement and upgrade to a VS pump. I'm not sure which size I should get. The old motor is 1hp seemed to do just fine. Pool volume is estimated 10k Gallons.

The first guy I see is Hayward Ecostar 2hp VS. The next one popping up on my list is Hayward Superpump VS 1.5hp. The second pump is significantly less expensive ($400 difference locally), smaller, and slightly less energy efficient (Hayward's web app tells me I'd save $612/year with the Ecostar and $576/year with the Superpump VS). So considering that I have a smaller pool with no spa or other features, am I going to see a difference in the 1.5 versus the 2.0 hp pumps? They are both VS and should provide more than enough power for my filter, right? Am I missing anything or does it make the most sense to go with the superpump over the ecostar?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

According to actual test data (APSP & CEC), the MaxFlo VS is more efficient than the EcoStar. I have a cost comparison table in the Hydraulics 101 sticky below that you can look at. But I wouldn't worry too much about efficiency since all of them will save you money. The downside to both the Superpump and MaxFlo VS pumps is that they require an external timer/controller to turn the pump on and off. So if you don't have a controller or timer, you will probably need to get one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.