Too much Calcium in the water?

Feb 17, 2013
After 5+ years we were just told by the pool store that we have too much calcium in the water. This is a pebbletech finish cement (gunite?) pool. They said to take about a third of the water out and put in fresh. The water is crystal clear, and about 80 degrees.

Since we are in Florida where it rains all summer, should we just wait until the rainny season hits?

This is the first I've heard of this and none of our neighbors have ever heard of too much calcium.

And what does the pool store consider as "too high"?

Too much calcium can cause scale but it can also be managed with PH. Post your CH, TA & PH.

Step one will be to get a proper test kit so you can see what your numbers really are. It's not uncommon for the pool stores to be terribly inaccurate. (correct me if I'm wrong)

This is a problem that is quite common in a few areas of the country, where tap water is very high in calcium. However, I have never heard of it happening in Florida, where tap water is normally very low in calcium.

It is indeed a problem and a bad one for many of us. Did they give you a number? I don't know FL water, but I too would say a good test kit will tell you. If you had some CH to start and used Calcium Hypochlorite as a chlorine source long enough, you could have some CH in your pool. How much is the obvious question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.