Motor wiring harness

Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA
I am replacing an old Nu-Wave MM-1 spa pack with a new Balboa VS500Z (50-54219-Z).
I've identified the high and low speed wires going to the pump. Inside the old controller box, and in the old wiring harness, they are black and red, respectively.) I need to remove the old wiring and install the new wire/plug assembly. but the Balboa manual does not specify which is which on the four pin AMP socket on the circuit board. The manual shows the bottom pin is grd, the second is common, but the 3rd and 4th are not specified. The 4th(top) pin is a D shape hole with the flat on the left. The third is round. The corresponding pin on the "21087" wiring harness plug has the red wire attached. So, which are the high and the low pins? Can I assume the colors are connected to correspond to the old harness?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You question is very specific and am guessing that few members here have experience with this setup, thus the delayed response.

Can you add some pictures that may better explain what your are seeing? Although if you know the ground and common, you should not hurt anything hooking up the low and high speed wires and turning it on. If they are backward, then just switch the wires.

Re: Motor wiring harness - solved

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you add some pictures that may better explain what your are seeing? Although if you know the ground and common, you should not hurt anything hooking up the low and high speed wires and turning it on. If they are backward, then just switch the wires.

I got a response from Balboa TS. They informed me that the connections are, in order from top to bottom,
RED is High speed
BLACK is Low speed
WHITE is common
GREEN is ground
This is looking at the female socket on the board with the flat sides to the left.
This was backwards from the original configuration. I realize I could have just tried either way to see if it worked, but the motor is hard to reach. It would have required a lot of grunting and bellowing of obscenities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.