Stupid is as stupid does....

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Just a word of advice for all the TFP'ers out there - when adding anything powdered to your skimmer, make sure to take the skimmer basket out and pour slowly! Otherwise, you'll be buying a new skimmer basket....and in cases like mine where the pool owner (me) is really stupid...you'll be buying a new basket twice..... :shock: :hammer:

A basket is easier to replace than the skimmer and the pipe that connects to it. If you put something in the skimmer that destroys the basket, it can't be doing anything good for the skimmer or the pipe, let alone the filter, pump, heater, etc. The right answer is to not put anything in your skimmer that is harmful to the basket!

I was adding borax, and had left the skimmer sock on the basket. Poured too much borax in at once, it got caught up in the skimmer sock, I heard the pump start straining, heard a loud crack, and found the upper rim of my skimmer basket had separated from the rest of the basket. So maybe I should have said "make sure you take the skimmer sock off" instead of removing the basket. Either way would've saved me a basket...twice (first time was baking soda).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.