Hello from Houston Tx

Mar 17, 2014
TX
Newbie here, Just moved to Tx last July and bought a house with a 23k gal pool. My Hubby and I have never had a pool and we are learning. I am the one who is maintaining the pool due to my H's travels. Needless to say, I don't know what the heck I'm doing..but I'm learning. I've got a lot of reading to do and so much to learn about Chemistry. Math has never been a strong suit. Anyway, Hello members.
cgm

Welcome to TFP!

If you need help or advice you are at the right place.

If you know your equipment specs and such it is a good idea to add the info to your forum signature so people can help you best.

Thanks for the welcomes....

I'll update my profile as I figure out my apparatus. Did I mention in my first post I'm scared to death about keeping parameters consistent. This is a lot different than a 180 gallon Saltwater fish tank. Wheeeeewh, what have we gotten ourselves into.

No need to be scared ! That's why your here. Everybody was once in your shoes. Lots of people here to help you out.
As for keeping the parameters in their range, once they are there it's easy to keep them there by having a good accurate test kit.
Another reason it's going to be easy to keep the parameters in their range is you'll be using our methods of only adding what your water needs and nothing else. When you use pool store methods the chem's they want you to use for one parameter usually mess's up another parameter and then you need another chem to fix that one and it mess's up another one etc. It turns into a never ending battle of trying to get everything in its proper range ?

Thanks for the welcomes....

I'll update my profile as I figure out my apparatus. Did I mention in my first post I'm scared to death about keeping parameters consistent. This is a lot different than a 180 gallon Saltwater fish tank. Wheeeeewh, what have we gotten ourselves into.

Welcome from Longview Texas! Believe it or not, keeping the pool water right is much easier than a coral or Fish only salt tank. I kept a 100g coral with fish tank for years! The pool is a breeze! Get yourself a good test kit and study up in pool school and you will do fine.

Welcome, and don't worry about the math. There isn't any hard math involved with basic pool care.

There is nothing complicated about what we teach. Just take a bite at a time and the lights will come on. Pool care isn't magic or brain surgery I promise. Easy stuff once you learn it. Start with the ABC's and take it all in slowly. We'll be here to ask questions if you need it. Good luck, and enjoy the forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome! This will be a lot easier than the fish tank. Read over Pool School, and you might want to take notes or print out parts of that also. It won't take too long before it all starts to link together and make sense. I learned that maintaining fish was really about maintaining the water, and it is the same with the swimming pool. You learn about what the tap water has, then what the pool needs, and use only the chemicals you need to get there.

I suggest you start a Pool Log with all the details of the pool; size, equipment and so on. Then get a proper test kit. I have the TF-100, as do a lot of the people on this forum. As you read Pool School, note in the Test Kits section the very short list of appropriate test kits. Get one of those. Then begin noting the results of each pool test. You will use the Pool Calculator to determine what your pool needs. The Pool Calculator will be your very best friend, so get to know it.

In a few short weeks, you will have a pool so clean and clear that you will become a pool snob, unable to get into any pool that is not Sparkling like yours is. Taking care of the pool is not hard, does not take long, and is not expensive. You're gonna love it!

I hate math and I can dose my pool in my sleep! You have nothing to worry about!

Welcome to TFP!

My advice use an online calculator like Pool Math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html double check you have the correct numbers plugged for your test results and your pool settings, and it it EVER tells you to use more than about a quart of any chemical other than bleach which might be as much as a gallon or even 2 in extreme cases, then closely double check everything. For most pools under routine maintenance once you get your water parameters established it will be very rare to use more than these amounts. The one exception here might be calcium hardness increaser if you have a plaster pool and very soft water, this you might add by the pail from time to time.