Cloudy water for short time after shutdown with clean DE filter. Normal?

Feb 3, 2014
San Diego
Hi all,

This is my first post.

American Titan Stainless Steel DE Filter 60 sq ft.
15k gallon pool, Gunnite I think.

I just bought a house (1989) with a pool. Today I disassembled the DE filter and cleaned it. There were no obvious tears or holes in the elements. I mixed the DE in a slurry and poured it in the skimmer. There was no obvious DE in the jets while adding it. After 10 min I shut down the pump. After shut down for 10 min I noticed the pump was filled with cloudy DE water. I turned on the pump and DE started spraying in the pool jets. It then cleared up.

I had my spa drained during this time to work on the light. When I filled the spa it took water from the pool. With the lower pool level the skimmer was pulling a hard stream and every 20 seconds or so the pump would make a different sound and had noticeable air. The filter pressure would drop from 20psi to maybe 5psi. During this time DE would come out the jets. Moments later the skimmer would no longer pull a hard stream and there would be no air in the pump and the jets showed no DE. I topped up the pool with water. In the dark, a flashlight on the jet shows there is no DE coming out the jet while the pump is running.

Is it normal for the pump to fill with cloudy DE water after shutting down? I didn't see this behavior before the filter was cleaned.

Is it normal for DE to come out the jets if there is air drawn by the pump or on startup?

Thanks
John in San Diego

Update:
The DE was flowing back from the filter and into the pump when shut down because the pump lid wasn't tight enough. After I put lube on the o-ring I was able to tighten the lid more and this prevent air from getting in and letting the filter flow back into tht pump. I expect a leaky valve could do the sam.

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.