I added an "automatic" chlorinator two years ago and shortly after started having problems with yellow algae. I recently bought the TF-100 test kit and with help of this site am finally starting to understand that even though I was shocking the pool with what I thought was a high enough amount of liquid chlorine, with a stabilizer reading of 50 I was not getting my FC levels up high enough to "finish off" the algae. So let's talk a bit about stabilizer.
Does stabilizer EVER break down or can you reduce it any way other than removing some water?
What is the "normal" reading to have with stabilizer for a fiberglass/vinyl pool that gets a lot of sun but frequently uses a solar cover?
Should I just remove the chlorinator from the system?
I used to think that when we went on vacation, I could just turn the chlorinator up a bit and we would be fine. BOTH TIMES that I tried this resulted in an algae outbreak (now I think I am starting to understand why). I thought I could just shock the pool with the chlorinator turned on 10.
Thank you for this site and for the many people that make this a productive and helpful forum!