Storing Chemicals

Sean31

May 1, 2013
I just took over the pool maintenance, and I'm trying to figure out how to store the chemicals (MA, CYA, Calcium) safely away from the kids. I'm thinking about getting a deck box like this, but I've read that muriatic acid will rust the metal hardware. As long it will still open and close, I don't care about a little rust. Will I be good with something like this?

From my experience with father In laws pool. That would do the trick. Iirc big thing with liquid chlorine is temp control (along with light). Heat is the enemy that this box wouldn't help with. I don't know about muriatic acid specifically having issues with heat. I do know that as long as your dealing with sealed containers you shouldn't be able to rust the powder coated hinges on that box.

Keep in mind that the caps are vented, so definitely keep MA and chlorine separate. The MA would be fine outside, mine is just sitting under my deck. No issues with heat or cold.

Keep the bleach as cool and dark as possible. Not sure what to tell you about safety with the kids, you have to decide how hidden/locked up the chemicals need to be since you know your kids the best.

Yea I don't plan to store any chlorine/bleach. Shouldn't need it with the SWG. Locked deck box should keep the kids out, but it's weatherproof and therefore not vented, so I was worried about the MA. Hopefully it will be okay.

The smaller models of those deck boxes start at under $100, I was just looking at some of them at Lowes today, and of course about the only metal on them are the hinges, so I think you would be fine. If your worried about ventilation, cut a few holes in with a hole saw attachment on a drill.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.