Hose connections help

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
Looking for guidance connecting my pump to filter. I have a bunch if the white flexible PVC? Stuff seen in the included pic. From the skimmer to my pump is hard pipe with a screw on connection. My outlet on my pump has a barbed connector as seen in the background of this picture. My filter has a smooth (1 barb at end) connection similar to the one you can see in this picture in white. So do I just slide the white flexible PVC over the barbed pump fitting and hose clamp and over the smoother filter fitting and hose clamp?

Last edited:
Well I went ahead and bought hose barb ends (like what's on the pump) to replace the smooth ends to put the flex pipe over. However, I'm still a bit confused. I've read other threads on here saying you can't use hose clamps with the white flex pvc hose but that's all that is here so it must be what the previous owners used. So do I need to get a different type of hose to to make the connections or is it ok to use flex pvc over hose barb end with hose clamps?

The flex pvc pipe in the picture is not designed to be used with barbed fittings. It has internal ribs to resist collapse. It might work, but it's really not correct. Flex pvc pipe is designed to be glued into pvc fittings like regular rigid schedule 40 pvc pipe.

There is hose and tubing designed for barbed fittings.

You can do it either way, but you should use the fittings and pipe or tubing or hose in the proper combination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.