Concern About SWG

Jun 15, 2008
my pool is crystal clear. I tested today using AquaChem 6 way test strips. total ch was 1 free ch was between 0-1 ph between 7.2-7.8 total alk about 120 stabilizer was about 75. I also tested salt level with Aquachek strips and is running between 4670-5080. I have ABG 15' round 1hp hayward pump my salt generator has operated since day1 but the chlorine total and free concern me. my swg runs 24 7 have been running pump about 8 hours a day. My manual for swg says to look for bubbles coming from swg to insure that it is working. What kind of bubbles am I looking for? little like air bubbles or bigger bubbles? We cleaned the cell today but it looked fine even before we cleaned it. If it isn't the swg do I need to run my pump all the time or do i need to shock it? Thanks for any help that you can give.

What kind of SWG is this? That's a really high salt level you have there. Make sure the SWG is set to produce chlorine. For example, the Intellichlor has a feature to set the percent of time that the cell is producing chlorine, such as 20, 40, 60, etc. You can also turn it off or run it at 100%.

The bubbles will be very small and fine. It'll almost look like a milky cloud around the generator when it's generating.

You really don't need to be running your pump 24/7, and likewise, you really don't need to be running the swg 24/7. I had the CL02 unit last year, and I'm thinking I ran it from 8 - 12 hours a day, and it did fine. Your salt level does sound high, even for that unit. What does the manual say?

BTW, "guess" strips are notoriously inaccurate. You would be better served with a good test kit. That way, you'd know exactly what your numbers are. Best investment I've made in my pool to date - even better than the floating cooler! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.