Mar 13, 2014
Las Vegas
I am a FNG (Funny New Guy) when it comes to pool maintenance. :D I am using a ColorQ Pro 7 test kit. I am terrible at matching colors and plan on taking samples in to Leslies occasionally to verify results. I am in the process of installing a Circupool RJ-45 SWG. This mornings test results were: FC 2.72 TC 2.80 PH 7.6 TA 91 CH 203 CYA 18 TDS 1840. ( I didn't buy enough salt yesterday. :mad:)
So far, from what I've read here and in the SWG documents I need to raise my CYA to 70 - 80 and my TDS to 3200. My assumption is that I should get these two I balance before working on the others. Am I correct, or am I way off base?

Thanks in Advance.

John

Welcome to TFP!

Raising the salt level is certainly a priority. Without salt the SWG won't work. Keep in mind that TDS and Salt are not quite the same thing. Certainly the majority of the TDS reading will be caused by salt, but other things besides salt also contribute to TDS, enough so you can't simply use TDS as a salt reading.

I suggest raising CYA in two or three steps. Making large increases in CYA all in one step risks raising CYA too much. CYA is easy to raise, but difficult to lower, so better to "sneak up" on it.

Other than salt and CYA your numbers mostly look reasonable, though you will want to raise CH a little.

By the by, I wouldn't count on Leslies's water testing to have anything to do with reality. Many of their stores/employees are just fine, but others are prone to extreme testing errors. Unless you have experience comparing them to reliable test results you can't be sure which category your store/employee is in.

I have not wired the power for the SWG yet. I'm waiting until I get the salt content up to where it needs to be. Since I have two Leslies within 2 miles, I'll take one sample to one and send the wife to the other with another sample.

If you have difficulty "matching colors" I bet the TF-100 test kit would be a snap for you. The colors are complete changes (pink to clear, blue to hot pink/red, etc. depending on which test you're performing). This is sooooooo much easier to see compared to say, that pH test where you might scratch your head and wonder if the shade is closer to 7.2 or 7.6??
I trust my test results over all others. Pool stores tests are suspect to me because under trained employees or perhaps a desire to sell you something might influence their quality.. y'know?

John,
I am a fairly new pool owner myself and have been using the ColorQ Pro 7 test kit also. IT seemed to work great for the first month or so but now my reading are becoming increasingly untrustworthy. Alot of time i find myself repeating the same test several times in a row to come up with a believable number. Hopefully you will have better luck than I am having.

Whenever digital testers are discussed, I inevitably think of this cartoon:

dilbert-randomnumbergenerator999.png

I agree with Jason's post above. Unless you are spending LOTS of money on a sophisticated electronic testing device you are not going to obtain accuracy or consistency. I've used them extensively, but these units cost several hundred, up to 4-5K each.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.