Automatic pool cleaner

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
We would like to purchase an automatic pool cleaner for our 1st year with our agp but don't kmow which kind is best.

Here are the options we are looking at but are also open to other suggestion.

1) aquabot rover jr -robot cleaned-$280

2) Polaris 65- pressure side cleaner- $170

3) kreepy krauly/Hayward bug/other suction side cleaner- $120

1) The Aquabot Rover Jr. is my personal favorite as it handles debris of all sizes and includes a fine mesh bag.

2) The Polaris 65 drags a bag beneath it and typically is good for medium to larger size debris. It is not the best option for fine debris such as sand and silt.

3) I personally am not a real big fan of suction side cleaners. They send debris back to the filter which adds load to the filter. They can also struggle with medium to larger debris. I also find that they are typically the most difficult to use on a daily basis. If you do go this route the two brands you mentioned are among the top choices.

My two personal favorites are the Pool Rover Jr. and the Water Tech Pool Blaster Max. I dip out all the bigger stuff/twigs/leaves and honestly use the PB Max most of the time. It's just too quick ,convenient and does a great job. Especially with the finer filter options. Rarely use my bug cleaner. It's too much of a pain to hook all those sections together, goes in circles a lot and such. But it does do a good job if you check on it. The first two choices have the added benefit of keeping most of that stuff out of your filter in the first place. I just brush my walls once a week in the summer-takes what, 10-15 minutes?

The Aquabot Rover Jr. and Polaris 65 won't do walls at all.

Sometimes you'll see a suction cleaner (the styles with the rubber mats) climb walls however it is not a main feature of the units. I wouldn't consider the small bit of wall climbing an advantage to suction units as they do so very sporadically.

If your walls need brushing you'll probably end up doing it manually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.