Heliotrop Helio-Matic Solar Controller Model 5000

Mar 14, 2014
Sacramento
Hello all,

The solar heating pump for my swimming pool is not powering up as I try to start it for the spring. After some trouble shooting, I've discovered I have power coming in to the controller but now power going out. The solar controller is powering up and showing good voltage at the in terminals. I'm showing no voltage on the out terminals. Both fuses in the controller are good, and I'm showing resistance at the collector terminals. The solar heater has worked fine the previous 3 years, so there is no issue with installation. Any suggestions on further trouble shooting? Thank you.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you post a picture of you equipment pad plumbing and equipment?
So you have a pump that is only for the solar heating loop? That is what it sounds like, which is not a typical setup.

226.jpg227.jpg

Here is a pic of my equipment and a closer pic of the controller in question. I have a main pump for the pool filter and a secondary pump for solar heating. The heating is usually temperature controlled but the controller does have a test switch to test functionality.

Interesting that you need a second pump. Does the main pump need to be running for the solar pump to turn on?

So you were putting it on "Test ON" and not getting any power out to the solar pump?

The main pump has to be running for the solar pump to come on because the switch on the main pump controller is what supplies power to the solar pump controller. The test feature does nothing as of now. Previously it would turn on the solar pump regardless of temperature. The auto switch is temperature regulated, switching on the solar pump depending on temperature.

The solar diverter valve does move on it's on, but I suspect not quite enough horse power from the main pump. I originally thought the issue was the motor on the solar pump. before discovering there is no power going out from the controller to the pump.

It sounds like this is something in the controller itself, unfortunately there is a bit of product lock in with Helio-Matic as it uses a 12V actuator (and I think a different resistance temperature sensor) than most other brands which use 24V actuators. So the easiest course of action is likely to replace it with another Helio-Matic 5000 controller. That is unless you are handy with a soldering iron, in which case replacing the relay might be worth a try.

Ike

I called the manufacture and they advised me to send in the board. They also mentioned the 10 year warranty. Not sure if it's transferable or not since I'm not the original owner. Any how it should be cheaper then calling out a dealer who will probably try to sell me a new controller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I called the manufacture and they advised me to send in the board. They also mentioned the 10 year warranty. Not sure if it's transferable or not since I'm not the original owner. Any how it should be cheaper then calling out a dealer who will probably try to sell me a new controller.

I know this thread is several years old. I am curious if they repaired it or not. I have the same model and the relay is chattering in the morning - sounds like hysteresis where maybe its can't decide if it should turn on or not so it goes back and forth. I have a Pentair VS pump with the timer built in it (so i can't really tell the Helio-matic to only get power when the pump is running), when i do run the pump then the water temperature must change and keep it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.