East Texas pool build in progress

Ryno98

Dec 27, 2013
East Texas
My pool construction started December 1, 2013 and is ongoing. Yes, I know I have been lazy to not post pics and things so far, but so far we have too many pics to count spread across 3 different cameras. I'm thinking a set of representative photos at the completion of my build will be a good thing once I have a chance to sort through them all. It's a fairly involved build with extensive rock feature, spa, fire pit, outdoor kitchen, and outdoor bathroom. Our rock feature is composed of sprayed gunite over a rebar/mesh form with lots of carving/texturing to look like real rock. Unlike some of the cheezy painted rocks of previous decades it's actually fairly convincing. The outer surface is essentially a mortar/stucco type material with neat little fossil shell/starfish imprints in some spots. The rock feature is approx. 35-40 ft of waterfalls ranging from 3-8 ft above the water surface with a deep grotto/slide combo near the deep end of the pool. My question for the best and brightest of the TFP forum: My PB has given us the option to seal or not to seal the fake rock formation. He thinks that unsealed will better suit the surrounding flagstone used for the beach entry, coping, spa wall, patio. He is worried that a sealant (which will apparently make the rocks look wet all the time even where the waterfalls do not course) will make the rocks look more "fake". He says that there is no difference in terms of durability with or without sealing. Anyone have any opinion or experience with something like this?

[This forum is a fantastic resource for building and maintaining a pool. Thank you all!]

Without sealer the concrete may be a bit "grittier" letting more sand particles stick to peoples bare feet when they walk across it and therefore track them around. (this of course partly depends on the concrete blend that was used). I had a big problem with this with a concrete patch done with cheap sak crete, it is only a small 4x4 ft corner of pool section, but is bad enough that even with sealer I am thinking about jack hammering it out and repouring.

I'll see if I can't get some pics coming a little sooner :) For the most part, the rock feature won't be walked on except for some steps on the far deep side leading up to the top of the slide. You can definitely "scramble" around on the rocks (and this is necessary for accessing some planters), but this will probably be fairly limited especially due to the risk of slipping when the waterfalls are running. We looked at a similar rock feature the PB had done a few years ago with complete sealing, but unfortunately it was raining buckets at the time so it was pretty much impossible to appreciate any difference between wet and dry areas with the sealer... My pool will not be SWG. PB recommended against using this with flagstone which is pretty extensive in our build. We already had a flagstone patio so it was easier to match the pool to it instead of ripping it out. A tablet feeder will be installed which I plan to use for start up/vacation only. May look into other in line chlorinators depending on how worn out I get from adding stuff manually. I'm especially anticipating huge acid requirements with new plaster, tons of aeration, and a TA of 450/pH 8.2 in my fill water. At this point I'm hoping to start filling the pool in a month or so. As expected with a build like this and the horrendous weather we've had in East Texas this winter, it's already past when I initially hoped to fill. No worries, though. PB is good, and work continues.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: We can deal with test on new builds but we love pics, too.....especially on a new build. One of the online photo albums seems easier for most of the members

Shoot all your questions our way, too. We'll help if we can

Ok, I've done it:

Rock feature:
i-r3z3wVV-S.jpg

Grotto/slide close up:
i-zJ9FB74-S.jpg

Texture close up:
i-wDKx822-S.jpg

Rock build:
i-gL9Jc8N-S.jpg
i-6x8pKx5-S.jpg

i-NLXvQvZ-S.jpg

i-jpjnTgK-S.jpg

i-FF5LLg8-S.jpg

The pipes you can see in the structure are for water/conduit for wiring. They are going to install the super new Hayward ColorLogic LED Accent lights in about 10 spots to illuminate the waterfalls, slide, steps, etc. and coordinate with my pool/spa lights. There are 3-4 planters in the structure. The steps to the slide are behind what you see in the front view pics. There is a pic of the roughed-in steps in the gallery linked below. The rocks have been cleaned up a bit since I took those pictures. They still have to do some staining to mimic flagstone and then +/- seal. I'm thinking unsealed will indeed look better, I just hope that it doesn't impact the longevity of the structure. I need to take a few more pics of the pool as it sits currently, I'm a little behind at this point. Check out http://pevey.smugmug.com/Other/Pool-Build/37698184_nJrgVH to see the others I've done so far.

Attachments

• i-r3z3wVV-S.jpg
    i-r3z3wVV-S.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 617
Suhweet! :mrgreen:
Looks great! That's quite a waterfall/slide you're building there!!

Keep the pictures coming!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, you have my full attention now. Can't wait to see the build pictures. ::epds::
Haha, I read the same part and suddenly, was like, wait... did that say 35 -40ft of waterfall with a slide?!! NICE! I too will be following closely. Love slides!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Realized that none of my pics actually show the entire project. Hope this shows it a little better. I had to learn how to use the panoramic mode on the camera.

i-72hzMK6-M.jpg

i-hcsmwrm-M.jpg

They are about halfway done with outdoor bathroom. What's left after that: build outdoor kitchen, more drainage/French drain stuff, tie in electric/water/gas, install pool equipment, finishing of rock feature, seal deck, install lights, plaster. The warm weather makes me impatient but I'm glad they are doing a good job.

They are starting to stain the rock formation!!

i-SCHXbj5-L.jpg

Since the last update they have finished bricking the outdoor bathroom and added matching brick facing around the plumbing for the outdoor shower. They also added a hose bib under the shower which will be great for washing off feet. A little bit of hand trenching was done for the gas line tie-in along with some fishing wires through conduit, but that doesn't make cool pictures! The rocks are really starting to look more like the native stone around here (or close to here, at least). I will be glad when they finally finish the remaining trenching for water line tie-in and drainage so I can finally start the yard recovery process and stop being so nervous about various other underground utilities being traumatized in the process. Otherwise the last real "building" element of the project will be to construct the outdoor kitchen, which is only represented by a water line/drain, gas, and electric conduit at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.