flex pvc @ equipment pad

Apr 12, 2013
Las Vegas, nv
Hi, long time lurker here ( I've learned a lot ) thanks in advance for the input. I have a problem with a multiport valve cracking ( Hayward variflow SP0715XR50 ). I'm on my third one. They keep cracking @ the threaded input ( first one also began leaking @ output and at the case near the waste ). I'm thinking of replacing input from pump with flex. Any thoughts?

• Don't use teflon tape as it is just putting more pressure on the fittings and port valve (use teflon paste, or other liquid thread sealant)
  • Using flex may help with vibrations or jolting coming from water pressure
  • You can also put a large SS pipe clamp over the female inlet of the port valve and tighten it down, this will prevent the fitting on the port valve from expanding and cracking as well when installing the plumbing. Install this clamp before plumbing

• Don't use teflon tape as it is just putting more pressure on the fittings and port valve (use teflon paste, or other liquid thread sealant)
  • Using flex may help with vibrations or jolting coming from water pressure
  • You can also put a large SS pipe clamp over the female inlet of the port valve and tighten it down, this will prevent the fitting on the port valve from expanding and cracking as well when installing the plumbing. Install this clamp before plumbing

Going to have to disagree here: Teflon tape IS recommended on PVC as MOST thread sealants are NOT recommended for PVC plastic. Teflon paste is good as well. You have to read the label on the thread sealants to make sure it is for use with PVC.

This could be it. Does the can say anything about use on ABS plastic?

I would water PROOF silicone on the threads.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Rectorseal T Plus 2 pipe thread sealant is a non-setting, multi-purpose compound which contains PTFE, plus synthetic fibers to create a stronger seal. Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced, PVC, CPVC and ABS pipe. T Plus 2 may be pressurized immediately following application.

•Teflon-enriched synthetic fibers create a strong seal
•Compatible with metal and plastic pipe
•Suitable for use in potable water systems and uses with a wide variety of other gases and liquids
•Allows for immediate pressurization
•Does not harden
•Brush applicator lid

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Rectorseal T Plus 2 pipe thread sealant is a non-setting, multi-purpose compound which contains PTFE, plus synthetic fibers to create a stronger seal. Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced, PVC, CPVC and ABS pipe. T Plus 2 may be pressurized immediately following application.

I saw that too. However it appears they make several different types of Rectorseal. Pretty much any time I've had brand new multi-port valves with cracked ports is a result of the thread sealant or could just be simple over tightening. I don't think you can ever go wrong with just using a very good grade water PROOF (not water resistant) silicone. We used it on thousands and thousands of installations over the years.

Thanks for the input guys. Rectorseal 5 (yellow stuff) does in fact say NOT for use with abs. Im not sure if I overlooked that or if I thought I had cpvc. I cant find what if any effect it has on abs, but I cant imagine it would weaken it, at least not so quickly.
I recently replumbed pool pad and moved equipment around so I'm thinking it's an alignment issue. Or maybe these valves are junk!?
I'll probably work on it this weekend and post back.

I cant find what if any effect it has on abs, but I cant imagine it would weaken it, at least not so quickly.

The oils used in pipe dope can weaken and crack ABS plastic within a few days of application. I've seen it personally happen dozens of times. I don't know how the Rectorseal product in question compares to pipe dope but I'm just saying that it could have the same sort of oils, etc. Since the bottle says not use on ABS I would have to imagine the Rectroseal used has the same tendency to cause stress cracks in ABS.

I thought I had cpvc

The valve is probably ABS while the plumbing is probably PVC. Did the pipe and/or PVC fittings crack too?

The discussion for pipe dope vs. teflon tape vs kind of pipe dope will go on interminably, I think.

I will add that the most common issue I read about is over tightening the joint causing the plastic to crack. If you break more than one seal, that would be the very first thing I would address.

My experience with all plastic joints (after pipe seal or thread) is somewhere around very hand tight + maybe another 1/2 turn with a wrench but I seldom use all of that 1/2 turn and I get about a 98% or better success rate

josh pvc is fine, maybe ill try silicone. is there a brand I should look for?

I've used "Boss" and "GE" many times without any issues. Some silicones may say water resistant however you'll want to it be water proof. I can't stress that part enough. Based on your photos it really does look like either the sealant or over tightening caused the crack.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.