LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
With the help of this site I now have a VERY beautiful pool and am a huge advocate of TFP to anyone that will sit still long enough to listen. So ... THANK YOU.

Now down to business... One of the prior owners of the house has some "work" done to the pool. in that process they managed to cut the main drain and the rock feature out of the plumbing loop. I identified the rock feature (which I didn't know was there) by running a garden hose on high into the cut PVC. That approach didnt work for the main drain. I couldn't figure out where the water was going so I added (not the best idea here:/) food coloring. Viola ... pipes identified. The question at hand now is what is the best way to plumb these back in.

I also need to replace the drains with anti suck covers ... recommendations?

I'm running booster for the cleaner and a 2 speed pump for the mains. The 2 speed is on low except when the booster is running for the cleaner or we have the spa cranked up.

The main part of the mess:
DSC_1178-Edit.jpg

The rest:
DSC_1179.jpg

DSC_1181.jpg

DSC_1182-Edit.jpg

The drains:
DSC_1175.jpg

The trick with the drain covers is to get a model number off the drains. The alternative is to remove one of the covers and take it into a pool store and see if they can match it.

The tall pipe with a notch cut out of the side near some electrical boxes is the air supply for the spa jets. Presumably you have jets that draw in air on their own and don't need a blower, but they still need the air to come from somewhere.

Integrating the main drain and rock bubbler into your system is going to mean replacing a fair amount of plumbing. Those three way valves and 90s are so close together there isn't really enough room to patch new lines in without replacing the whole assembly. If you are willing to do that much replacing, it won't be especially difficult, just be methodical and work through what you want valved in what order.

This is what I had in mind for the suction side:
ybu5y6u4.jpg

Any opinions on where the rock bubblers should be in the valving on the pressure side? I'm contemplating adding a section onto the main feed for the spa (when in pool mode) and using that to feed the bubblers.

7u2a7yme.jpg

There is enough pipe on the other side of the chlorinator that this would be doable without ripping the pressure side out.

I'm afraid the suction side will be hacksaw and do over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.