Best Strategy for Re-plumbing for Smaller pump

MikeZ

Mar 13, 2014
Melbourne, FL
So I've been looking to move from my single speed pump to a VSP for my 10k gal pool and managed to pickup a SP2300VSP for a good price. I already had a Hayward 1HP pump so I wrongly assumed the connection points would be at same places....wrong. Therefore I am going to need to do some adjustments to mount the new pump. There is a t-adapter directly in front on the water inlet pipe.

I attached a picture, but I'm looking of the simplest way to mount the new pump and it seems like there are two possible ways:

1) finding a riser to mount the pump up higher (Do they make such a thing?) and extend one of the two pipes.
2) Put a couple of elbows in the front part (Would that cut down meaningfully on efficiency?) and extend the top pipe.

Thoughts?

DSC_0160_2.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It would be easier to offer suggestions with a full view of all the plumbing.

My gut tells me you should raise the pump to align with the suction pipe and extend it so the discharge lines up and then adjust the return pipe as required.

You could raise it with pavers and/or shims.

- - - Updated - - -

If those are the same union fittings on the existing plumbing, you could just cut the pipe and add/remove pipe as needed to use the same fittings.

So you have tons of pipe to play with. If the union fittings are the same, I think I would try to leave the suction side untouched and shim the pump as required to align with it as is. Then play with all that extra pipe between the pump and filter to line up.

May have to cut the vertical by the filter to allow the loop to rotate, and maybe shorten the horizontal, and lengthen the vertical above the pump.

The vertical pipe on the output of the pump will be fairly easy. I would cut out a section on the portion of that run where it is headed down toward the filter. Just measure carefully, allowing for the length of the overlap when you glue, use a straight coupler, and that part should be straightforward.

On the feed line going into the pump, you don't have all that much room. You can use two 45 degree fittings to lower the pipe without affecting the efficiency too much, but I'm not sure you have enough room to fit that in. The second option, raising the pump, as others have suggested, is likely to be easier. The third option, the most work but the nicest looking result, would be to cut a section out of each of the pipes on the suction side near ground level before they get to the three way valve. If you go that route, you will need an assistant to get both connections put back together at the same time before the glue dries.

Great suggestions given, pick your poison LOL. Not knowing your mechanical abilities, here is just a tip you may or may not be aware of: I would dry fit everything marking the PVC joints with a marker and lining it up before you glue. Use your marks as a reference point so you know the fittings are lined up correctly.

Keep in mind when you dry fit PVC pipe it will not slide all the way into the connector. Measure the depth of the connector and allow for the depth when you cut the pipe to length. The glue acts as a lubricant and those pieces will slid all the way in to the stops when you join them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.